𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡

"Why are you so against me dyin' my hair?" He spoke up from his spot on the corner of the tub, picking at a small hole on his bell bottoms as he waited for you to get started. He had been wearing the same shirt that you had worn yesterday before he had shrugged it off and over his head, not wanting to stain it. That was another thing that made you homesick. The group liked to share clothes.

You were clutching the bottle to your chest, glaring at the back of his head as you tried to come up with an answer. "I just don't think black hair is going to look good on you, is all." You grumbled, quickly evading his eyes as he turned his head to face you with a smirk.

"So. . . what yer' tellin' me is that'cha like my natural hair color? S' that it?" Damn him and his dumb accent. Damn him and his big blue eyes. Damn him.

Instead of answering you simply reached out, giving his hair a quick tug. You were trying to be mean to him and to get him to stop his teasing, but you being the one to initiate the touching must have caught him off guard. He let out a loud yelp, the sound echoing around the tiled bathroom. A few seconds afterwards you heard a shuddered breath slip past his lips, and the sound made you clench your jaw. His hands moved out to grip the sides of the porcelain tub until his knuckles were white, the muscles of his bare back tightening. There it was again. The tension was often unbearable between the two of you. Your passionate distaste for him had shifted into a passionate "something". You just couldn't pinpoint what it could possibly be. What it could mean for you. The fact that you could even tolerate the asshole wasn't right. It made you think of your mother, who loved your father despite the constant hell he put her through.

All men had ever done was disappoint you and let you down. Tex, while he had done something awful to you and had hurt you, was always so soft with you. He did things without having to be told. He looked out for you. He tucked you in at night. He looked at you almost as though you were the only woman on the entire planet. He couldn't get enough of you. He never stopped telling you how much he loved you, and you believed him. Maybe you were just as sick in the head as he was, because you believed that he loved you. When he said that there was no one else out there for him, you knew that he was telling the truth. It was because of this constant attention that you found it hard to deny yourself of the urge to explore. There was this insanely bratty part of yourself that wanted to test him and his devotion for you.

You stared down at his chocolate brown hair for a few more seconds, rubbing your fingers against a few fine strands before saying your final goodbye to his natural color. "Don't cry to me when you look ridiculous though." You tried to sound cold, but really just sounded like a nagging girlfriend. He didn't seem to mind. You could hear him chuckling softly, his eyes glued to the yellow shower tiles in front of him. It didn't take you long to apply the black dye, tossing the applicator in the trash once you were finished. His sudden urge to dye his hair confused you to no end, but very little of what Tex did made complete sense.

"How long do ya think I should leave this in for?" He finally asked, standing up inside of the tub and stretching out his long arms up and over his head as he waited for your answer. You watched the muscles in his shoulders tense, his biceps bulging ever so slightly with the movement. He raised an eyebrow when he noticed you staring, but you turned away from him to wash your hands at the sink before he could say anything.

"Uh. . . probably twenty minutes, I'd think." You had gotten a few specks of dye on your wrists and palm, and no matter how hard you scrubbed at the skin with soap it didn't want to wash out. Tex seemed to stain you that very same way. He had tainted you- did something fucked up to your mind, and now you were different. You felt damn near brainwashed at this point. You'd never be the same. He'd stuck himself right onto you, and no matter how badly you wanted him off, he wasn't leaving.

You scrubbed at your palm until your hand was raw, Tex being the one to walk over to the sink and turn off the water. You dared a glance up at him, looking through your lashes. His eyebrows were drawn together in confusion at your odd behavior. You did this every now and again. It was almost as though you were too stuck in your own mind to really understand what was going on around you. This was one of those times.

"You're gonna make yourself bleed, honey." He took your palm in his hand, covering it with his unstained fingers.

You dared to look up at him, taking in his face against the black inky locks that hung down around him. You had smoothed the hair off of his face and neck so as to not stain him. You weren't sure why you had been so gentle and considerate with him, but you had been. You weren't sure if you regretted it either. He didn't look half bad with black hair, and that made you want to rub at your skin even harder. If anything he still looked just as great. His eyes were such a vibrant shade of blue now that you found it hard to look away. If someone wanted to paint Tex, all they needed to do was grab a true shade of blue and mix it with a little white- they were so pretty that it was unnatural.

You snatched your hand out of his grip, clearing your throat before backing out of the room. You needed to escape and fast. Something registered in his eyes. They widened a bit, his lips parting in silent shock. You wanted to play dumb. You wanted to ask him what had his stupid jaw on the floor, but you knew that he had made a vital, fucking dangerous realization.

He finally realized that you were attracted to him.

Not just in passing, but as someone that you were beginning to enjoy being around. The kind of attraction that often resulted in dating in the normal, real world. You didn't want to give him any time to mull over it either. If Tex said something to you, you weren't sure whether or not you could answer him without sacrificing a vital part of yourself. The part of yourself that had been keeping you safe the last few weeks. The part of yourself that had shielded you from the fact that no one had come looking for you on the ranch. No one probably thought that you were really gone. Was your mother worried that you hadn't called? Did your father even really care?