Foreigner

"She looks nothing like you, Princess."
"Yes. She has our nose! Like Baba!"
"We'll see, when she wakes up."

Kendra stirred from her sleep with a throbbing headache. Each pulse more painful than the first. She touched her head lightly before looking at the two in front of her. Shuri sat in a chair with one leg thrown over the armrest anda bald woman, like earlier, stood peering at her with narrow eyes.
"Kendra, it is so good that you came," Shuri said standing. Oh, that's right. Kendra rubbed her eyes with the palms of her hands.
"I feel like—" before she could finish her sentence the memory of last night flicked in her mind.
"Sorry about that...some people can get carried away," The bald woman spoke.
"This is Okoye our general," Shuri said beaming. Kendra smiled awkwardly. Okoye grazed her eyes over Kendra slowly.
"Nice to meet you," Kendra said. There was an awkward silence and Kendra decided to fixate on the door. Kendra slapped her wrist instinctively and relaxed as she felt the beads of her bracelet secured around her.
"Well, I have to get back to the lab for a few hours but I will be back. Just try to relax and also...no one knows you're here besides me, Okoye, and some of the Dora Milaje," Shuri announced. 
"Wait a minute," Kendra started but the pair were half way out the door.
"See you in a few!" Shuri said before closing the door. Kendra sat with her back straight and muscles tensed.  I need to do something.
Kendra stood up and paced her room. The high ceiling and wall paintings of animals causing her stomach to flip. I never should have came. I told Shuri this was a bad idea. It wasn't long before the door to her room slammed open and two Dora Milaje walked in followed by Queen Ramonda and Shuri.
"What is this about, Shuri?" The Queen hollered l looking from Kendra to Shuri. Kendra stopped in her tracks and eyed Okoye steadily.
"I was trying to tell you mother. She is my sister, from America," Shuri mumbled. Queen Ramonda squeezed past the Dora Milaje and grabbed Kendra's chin in a firm grasp. Kendra flinched feeling pins prick at her spine. The Queen bore into Kendra's eyes and Kendra returned the stare.
"How old are you?" The Queen snapped releasing Kendra. Kendra rubbed her jaw and scowled.
"I'm 26," Kendra said, "My fathers name is T'Chaka...My mother," Kendra bit the end of her sentence.
"What of your mother?" The Queen challenged.
"Mother!" Shuri interjected.
"It's fine Shuri," Kendra said, "I don't know who my mother is. I was placed in a foster home when I was a week old." The Queen's eyes softened for but a moment before hardening again.
"So how did you come to know that T'Chaka was your father?" Kendra started to respond but Queen Ramonda sighed loudly and took a seat in the chair in the corner of the room.
"I already knew of you, I cannot deny it. But, why didn't you come to your brothers funeral? Your fathers funeral?" The Queen seethed. Kendra rolled her eyes.
"It didn't feel right—"
"And now it does? While we are defenseless? How do I know you aren't working with the American government to spy on Wakanda?" Queen Ramonda yelled. Kendra felt her eyes sting. What was she thinking? After all this time with no one to really back up her existence. To think she could meet Shuri and the Queen and expect open arms.
"Shuri, this was a mistake," Kendra stepped around The Queen and shoved past the Dora Milaje.
"Kendra!" Shuri yelled.

The sun had fallen behind the hills and Kendra found herself by a secluded river. Elephants walked calmly across the dark waters. She stood watching them bare foot in the dirt feeling the hum of the wind pushing soft waves to the shore. This wasn't the aquarium. She wasn't blocked off from the water by a glass window. Kendra looked for any lights and listened for any chatter near by. No one was around. No one would see her take a quick swim.  Kendra had her shirt half way off when a twig snapped.
"Mother, this is pointless and you were very rude to my sister!" Shuri said. Kendra stumbled as she flung herself into the trees. Queen Ramonda and Shuri appeared, Shuri holding onto white clothing. Queen Ramonda sat down and Shuri reluctantly did too. Kendra took a step back, then another, and another before she stepped on something sharp and hissed. Queen Ramonda looked in her direction lazily. Kendra knew she wasn't hidden by the thickets of the leaves but the Queen's stare still bore.
"It's probably a bird or something," Shuri said. I have to leave now! When the Queen turned back to Shuri, Kendra ran until she was back in the guest room. As she sat on the edge of the bed staring at her duffel bag. The string of beads on her wrist clacked together. Realization kicked in when she peered down at her wet and sticky bare feet. She had left her shoes by the river.