Dinner Meeting

Donovan had been Bryce's personal assistant since before she was even widely known.  She'd hardly had enough money to pay him when he'd first started working for her.

That was over a decade ago, which makes it seems like Bryce would be old, but in all truthfulness she had already earned her first million by the time she turned 21, so she is only in her early-thirties now.

When Donovan had first met her—and well after that—he'd always seen her as a cold and calculated person.  Crazy, of course, but no one bland ever got anywhere in life.  Bryce Tankthrust didn't care about anyone.  He'd heard her mention a boyfriend once but she'd commonly mumble random things about hookups she's had previous nights, whether they were good or bad.

After working for her for 8 years she's had him prepare a dinner for three people, one of them being himself and to dress for the occasion.  By that time Bryce was 29 and the two had considered each other friends, though they never spoke it out loud.

Donovan arrived to the private dinner before Bryce the mystery guest had, and after 15 minutes he was worried they weren't going to show.

Just as he was about to call his boss, she walked through the door, holding a man with very bold makeup hand.  Bryce was certainly more dressed up.  She had on a red lace top that looked extremely stiff and a fluffy dark red skirt as well as a lot of golden accessories.  The man accompanying his boss was wearing a bright green suit with black accents all on it and a shit ton of eyeliner, green lipstick, and eyeshadow.

"Donovan," Bryce greeted.  She was nervous, Donovan could tell.  "This is my boyfriend, Bobby."

Donovan blinked in surprise as the couple sat down in front of him.  "Oh.  Well, uh how long have you two been together?"

"22 years."  Bobby answered instantly.  "And 3 months, 2 weeks, and 4 days."  He adds.

Bryce flashed a warning smile at Bobby.  "Yes, something like that."

The assistant was surprised to say the least.  Of all the years he'd worked for her, Bryce had never once mentioned a boyfriend.  She'd mention hookups with random men.  It's not like Bryce didn't trust him, Donovan knew that she would kill people and take their hearts for herself, so he was confused as to why he'd never at least heard of Bobby.  His name sounded slightly familiar though.

He asked, "Not to intrude, but that's a long time—why aren't you married?"  Bobby laughs and Bryce just keeps eating.

The dinner remains mainly silent.  When they're done eating Bryce leans over to Bobby and whispers something to him.  The man looks at her with confusion but gets up and leaves anyway.

Bryce takes a deep breath before talking.  "I never told you about Bobby because I was...worried.  I was worried that you'd see how he acts and then change how you
thought of me."  Bryce hesitates on saying more.  "I gave my heart to Bobby when we were seven.  It's not your typical love story but most people aren't starting entire companies at 17."

"I don't understand why that would change what I thought of you."  Donovan says.  "I know plenty of shitty things you've done."

"I guess Bobby was more personal than the rest of that.  You're my friend Donovan," She admits, "I was worried if you didn't like Bobby we wouldn't be friends anymore.  It's crazy, I know.  But Bobby has always been different."

At that moment Donovan had realized that the supposed 'heartless' Bryce Tankthrust, did in fact have a heart.  For two people, at least.  "Bobby seems fine, ma'am."

Bryce smiles softly, but then it turns into a smirk.  "You're still not getting a raise, Donovan.  Bobby!"  Bryce exclaims and Bobby is instantly back by her side.

"What's up, sweetheart?"

Bryce gestures for him to sit down.  "Donovan approves.  You can come see me at work now."  Bobby sticks his tongue out at her.

Donovan watched awkwardly as the couple very horn-ily flirted with each other.  He still didn't quite understand his boss, and he was very certain he never would—there were many layers to her—but he did understand one new thing about her;  Bryce Tankthrust, despite not having a heart of her own, has all of her heart to offer to the people she loves.

~~~~~~~

note:  I LOVE THEM SO MUCH I CAN'TTTTTTT

other note:  most of my fics are originally posted on ao3