When the Righteous Fall

Diego fought for justice outside the law, and was the only member of the Hargreeves family still wearing his mask and playing hero when people were in trouble

Diego fought for justice outside the law, and was the only member of the Hargreeves family still wearing his mask and playing hero when people were in trouble. He believed that opponents could be injured, but killing was reserved for life-threatening situations, or when absolutely necessary. Which is why he always had a problem with Five—a man who never felt remorse or guilt when killing people. It's something Diego couldn't wrap his head around.

But it's also what led Diego to knock on Five's bedroom door in the Hargreeves' mansion just before noon.

"Come in," Five shouted through the door.

Diego entered and found Five sitting on his bed, reading.

"I need you to do something for me," he said, cutting to the chase.

Five put his book down and sat up straight, intrigued.

"What do you want?"

"I need you to do something I can't," Diego stated. "No questions asked."

Diego walked over and handed Five a police file containing information on three high profile men. The primary convictions were for multiple murders, attempted murder, rape, and implications that they were part of a drug-smuggling ring. There was also a post-it with a date, time, and a handwritten address.

"All charges were dropped because of a technicality. I need you to fix that."

"Fix it how?"

Diego turned and started walking away.

"However you want," he said.

+++

Midnight. 497 Hilltop Haven Drive.

Five hid inside the bushes just outside a large, white two-story house. He had only been given information on three men, but there were numerous cars and trucks parked in the driveway and along both sides of the street, suggesting some sort of gathering. Five didn't know what it was for, but he was willing to bet that it wasn't a kids' birthday party.

Never ask an assassin—even a retired one—for help without giving them instructions beyond "here are your targets" unless you want them dead. All Five had to do was sneak in, break some necks and get out. Easy, right?

+++

Five returned to the mansion drenched in blood; it wasn't a pretty sight. He entered his room via the fire escape, where Five found Diego sitting on the bed.

"How did it go?" Diego asked.

"They're dead," Five replied as he climbed through the window.

"Good—wait, what happened? That's a lot of blood for just three people. Did you come across any trouble?"

Five stripped off his bloody jacket and threw it to the floor.

"Don't play dumb, Diego. I found out you were the one who told them I was coming," he said. "You wanted this massacre."

"Was anyone left alive?"

Five scoffed.

"Don't ask questions you already know the answer to."

Diego stood up.

"Just know you did a good thing today. You made the streets a lot safer—for everyone," he remarked. "Thank you."

Five watched his brother leave the room. Diego had definitely lost it—but at least Five got to have some fun in the process.