False Sense of Security

Oof, procrastination happened.

Warning(s): none as far as I know.

Prompt/Plot : "Your OC has made it to a safe house or small encampment. Only for it the very night you found it to be raided by Government Agents. How do you escape, and who if any do you save?"

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Ever since Jewel ran away from her home, she has been running almost non-stop and only stopping to take a break in the middle of the day and sleep during the night for days? Weeks? Months? She doesn't know and care anymore about that as her priority right now is to seek shelter from the pouring rain.

They gripped their now wet brownish red jacket tighter as they ran through the rain. It was a good thing they learned how to open their INVENTORY two days ago and stored her bag and some supplies she umm....got from a town she traveled to almost a week ago..

It was around the afternoon when it suddenly rained. They were just practicing their magic while walking on a forest road where barely any vehicles go by. She really didn't expect it to rain as it was a very clear sunny day with no telltale signs of a downpour in sight.

Having no other options left, she has to find shelter earlier than planned.

She scurried off the road promptly and into the forest. After around 15 minutes of weaving through the surprisingly dense forest and completely getting soaked down to the bone, she stumbled upon a small glade.

In the forest glade stands an abandoned 4-story building which was mildly covered in moss and untamed vines.

They really don't want to go there since it looked really creepy, especially when dusk is nearing, plus she was having a bad feeling that something was going to happen. With the now heavy rain, exhaustion, and currently being completely soaked from the rain, does she really have a choice right now? Nah. She shoved the bad feeling aside and entered the building.

Upon entering, she examined the 1st floor with her hazy snow blue eyelights and found the stairs that lead to the upper floors of the building. Slowly and shakily, she climbed the flight of stairs up to the highest floor. Even with their exhaustion, she doesn't feel like teleporting at all.

Reaching the topmost floor, She headed straight for a dry corner and sat down on the concrete floor. They leaned their back against the wall and held her skeletal hand out to summon a small shard of crystal that glows dimly, but still brighter than her eyelights, to light up her surroundings since the glow of her eyelights are too dim. Letting out a deep sigh, she then placed the crystal on the floor before raising her hand out again and swiped it down.

Appearing in front of her was a black screen with white outline and two words written in all caps, ITEM and STAT. She selected ITEM and another similar screen appeared beside the previous one. She chose the item she wanted and her mildly dirty red-ish pink backpack materialized beside her as she let her tired body rest for a moment before rummaging through her bag for some dry clothes. She quickly took off her wet socks and shoes, putting it somewhere to dry, then hanged the rest of her wet clothes after she changed into a loose black t-shirt, another pair of black leggings, socks and her light blue gradient boots. Even though she doesn't feel the cold and gets sick, the feeling of wet clothes clinging onto her body makes her very uncomfortable, especially the socks. When they were done with everything, she stored her bag back to her INVENTORY.

She closed her eyes for a bit and lie down on the concrete floor before she opened her eyes again. Their body felt heavy and numb. As she stared at the mossy and vine-covered ceiling, the bad feeling she felt a while ago came back after some time had passed. Even though she desperately wanted to sleep right now, she had to be vigilant of her surroundings. Too bad, her exhaustion won't allow it and was too strong to overcome. She can already feel her eyelids getting heavier and heavier every minute, until she finally drifts off into a sleep devoid of dreams.

﹉﹉﹉

She had been sleeping for several hours when she was suddenly startled awake and sat up immediately. Her senses were going haywire all of a sudden, especially her senses of hearing and smell. She shakily got to her feet, made her way to the closest window, and peered out. The smell of the forest after the rain hit her hard and she then quickly covered her nasal cavity with her skeletal hands, which wasn't really very effective. She was also bombarded by the sounds of leaves rustling to the wet ground, insects buzzing, and the leaves of trees and bushes rustling, which gave her a mild headache.

The moon was high in the pitch-black sky, encircled by twinkling stars and a thin blanket of clouds. The trees and the damp grass below were sparkling under the moonlight.

They were scared. The anxious feeling of something bad was going to happen has increased tenfold. She can see the flickering of lights from a distance as clear as day.She can also hear the distant barking and marching of people as well as the distant crunching of leaves and grass.

She snatched up her now-damp clothes and shoes in a hurry, storing them in her INVENTORY before grabbing the crystal and shattering it. They sprinted to the window opposite her resting place and leaped through it.

Instinctively shutting her eyes, her crystalline SOUL pulsated wildly as she vanished mid air and appeared in the forest. She miraculously landed steadily when materializing a little above the ground and instantly made a run for it into the dark dense forest with her eyelights being her only source of illumination, allowing her to see and guide them in the dark.

Even after she could no longer hear the sounds of marching people and the barking of their canine companions, she continued to run deeper and deeper into the forest, she did not stop even though her legs were already burning and aching badly. Her anxiety won't let her rest for a while as the thoughts of getting captured filled her mind. They ran faster, pushing past their limit.

The sound of the grass beneath her feet crunching increased with each step she took. She had started to breathe rapidly and shallowly every minute.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened to her, and it certainly won't be the last.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Done!

Edit: I keep forgetting some stuff in the story. Oops

November 20, 2022