chapter 4: A Leaf

"Thank you for paying," Vella grinned, holding onto Lara's arm as the 2 girls started out of the restaurant together later that night.

"Of course," Lara smiled back. She placed her wallet into her small bag, and stuffed the small white flower into the pocket of her jeans. "I promised that I would pay to make up for all the times we had to delay our dinner due to my work."

Night had completely fallen as they were eating. All the street lights were on, dousing the path in a warm orange light that felt cozy. A couple of cars were on the road, with some people walking around. Not a lot, but still a good number of people. It was here that it was a little more obvious to Lara the impact of the police's failure to capture the Duct Tape Murderer. The city was most certainly more busy before the chaos of their appearance, it seemed like people were now doing their best to stay safe by keeping off the streets when it got dark.

Strangely though, it was nice. Felt like they had the street mostly to themselves. A nice breeze was blowing through, something that would be rare to find should the street be packed with people.

Lara turned to look at Vella, admiring the way her hair moved with the breeze, shining beautifully under the street signs and moonlight. Standing side by side, her date was about a foot shorter than her which was adorable to the officer as she watched Vella walk beside her with a light bounce in her step. Absolutely adorable.

A cold hand brushing against hers caused the officer to jump. However, when she glanced down, she simply saw Vella looking back up at her with a mischievous grin. The officer held her hand out with her fingers outstretched, knowing fully well what the smaller girl had tried to do. Lara could hear the girl let out a small gasp. Immediately, Vella's fingers tightened around hers. Holding hands on their first date... This was going so much better than she could have expected.

The officer could feel her cheeks ache from all the grinning she was doing tonight- it also made it exceptionally clear just how difficult the past few months at work were, since her muscles felt like they were having to get used to smiling again.

Together, they walked. Lara couldn't deny that she loved Vella's bubbly and bold energy. She had initiated holding hands on the first date, and the way that her small hand fit into hers... Her heart was doing somersaults in her chest. She had already made her mind up: she definitely wanted to ask her out for a second date.

"This is my motorcycle," Vella said, stopping by a small black vehicle at the side of the street. She let go of Lara's hand as she took out their helmets, handing one over to the police officer. "You know how to put this on, right? I'm sure I don't need to help you."

"You don't need to, but maybe some help will be nice," Lara grinned as she matched Vella's cheeky energy, bending lower after sliding the helmet over her head and leaving the dangling straps for her date to buckle for her. Sure. She was fully capable of buckling her own helmet, but where was the fun in that? Instead, the police officer found herself giggling like a child as Vella reached up to help her. Vella's hands were so small. Lara found it so cute.

The smaller girl gave Lara's helmet a tap on the top after she was done.

"Get on, my place is nearby," Vella said, easily getting onto the bike and patting the space behind her. "I think it's too early to send you home. Do you want some drinks?"

"I'm always down, it's my rare day off tomorrow anyway," Lara responded casually.

Things were going so well for a first date. She had heard so many scary stories of people having a bad time after meeting a date that they met online. Sometimes they could be weird, sometimes people just left in the middle of the meal because they didn't like what they saw in real life. There were so many steps tonight that Lara had not expected to be successful at. They had dinner. Vella had initiated hand holding and it really felt nice. Now, it was clear that her date was feeling the same positive feelings for her since she was inviting her into her home to continue the night.

"Don't let go of me," Vella cautioned her as the motorcycle chugged to life. "B- But don't grab on too tight either. I'm ticklish."

With the wind blowing through her hair, snatching the sounds of their laughter, the motorcycle pulled out of the lot smoothly. Lara wrapped her arms around the smaller girl's waist, pressing the side of her head into the small of the girl's back as they made their way through the night. Thankfully, it wasn't humid, which made it the perfect night weather to ride on a motorcycle on.

Lara felt the outline of Vella's torso against her arms. A satisfied grin rested upon her lips. The only thing she could hear was the sound of wind rushing by and the occasional noises from city traffic. This was certainly a night for the overworked police officer to remember.

Time to let herself forget about the Duct Tape Murderer until it was time for her shift to start again.

***

Written on: 19 Nov 2022, 21 Nov 2022

Edited on: 28 Nov 2022