Chapter One

Chapter One

"Haden I don't care what you have to say! You cheated!" Today, at my place of work I was bombarded by one of my students. For some reason she thought it was appropriate to confess her love for my boyfriend of three years, in front of the whole school she had told me of how they were soul mates, how they had been sleeping together for weeks and how she couldn't comprehend how a man like Haden Nicks would date a women like me.

This was the confrontation between me and the now ex-boyfriend;
"Look I was going to tell you" He pleaded.
"Were you going to tell me before or after she did?"
"She wasn't meant to say anything and I don't know why she did. I feel terrible Cass, please"
"Haden, you promised her that you would leave me, that you only ever loved her, does any of this ring any bells?"
"She's lying! I would never, it was a mistake. I love you!" I shook my head. "I can't don't this anymore" For some time now I had suspected him of an affair but I didn't want to believe it and I had convinced myself that if he had only done it one time I could forgive him but this was more than I could handle.

"Don't say it Cassidy, don't you dare say it" He held my face between his hands and leaned in so our foreheads were just touching, he was on the brink of crying and there was a small part of me that wanted to forgive him but then I had images of them together and it almost made me sick. I shook his dirty hands off and backed away.

"We're over" Those words seemed to echo where ever I went and even followed me into my dreams. This was the fifth time I had dreamt of the day I broke up with him, it had been 2 months and still I wasn't over him, why wasn't I over him?!
Within those 2 months I had been sent, I'm sorry cards, chocolates, balloons and pretty much anything that had the words 'I'm Sorry' printed on them.

I had woken up an hour before my alarm went off and after 20 minutes of tossing and turning trying to get back to sleep, I deemed going back to sleep a lost cause and got out of bed and started getting ready for work.

I had arrived at Nelson High a full half an hour early before the teachers arrived. I had decided to mark history papers while I waited for the school to fill up. I had only just sat down and marked one paper when I heard the front entrance doors open and shut. Heavy footsteps were echoing down the hallway and I couldn't think who would be, I got out of my chair and went to peep through the small rectangle window in my door when he passed by, unknown man who was defiantly not a student and was not any teacher I had ever seen.

"Excuse me" I called out. It was like he turned around in slow motion as I watched his black hair swish around as looked in my direction. His was only about five feet away but I could see he had dazzling green eyes from this distance. He stopped and stared for a moment as I forgot I had stopped him and now I wasn't saying anything.

I somehow found my voice and managed to squeak out a "Can I help you?" He slowly walked towards me and then smiled. "Maybe, my name is Spencer Grenick, I'm the new English teacher and I seem to be failing in finding the head office" He said with a soft British accent.
"Oh you must be taking over Natasha, I'm Cassidy Hilled I teach history or at least I try to" His smile only grew wider and I could see a little dimple form on his left cheek. "I'll show you where to go" We walked together down a number of corridors before we reached the office and although we didn't talk it wasn't awkward. We reached the office and just before I was going to say my goodbyes he said;

"I have to ask, what are you doing here so early" He asked furrowing his brows.
"Troubling sleeping and I thought what better way to spend my time than marking papers?"
"Yes the smell of biro does get the blood pumping" I couldn't help but let out a small laugh and it felt like the first real laugh I had had in weeks.

"Well if there is anything you need a hand with my main classroom is E10"
"Thank you, I might have to take you up on that, that is if I can find it again" I nodded and started to walk back to my classroom when he called out. "It was very nice meeting you Cassidy"

I twirled around and with the same goofy smile I had worn all the way to the main office I called out "Likewise Spencer"
On my walk back I couldn't keep the smile off of my face, the halls had started to fill up with students and even though it had been sometime since my public humiliation I still got stares and I still got pointed at, it was as if these people didn't have anything else better to do but today I didn't care though, for what felt like forever I finally felt happy. I strolled into my classroom and got today's curriculum ready. Just as I went to switch my phone off a message came through.

'Just a quick glance' I thought to myself and then I will turn it off. It was a jumble of numbers at the top telling me it wasn't someone I didn't know.

You're making it harder and harder for us to make up Cassidy. I'm outside your school and I won't leave until you come see me. Haden.

How had he gotten my new number? Why was he out there? What should I do?