|Three|

Walking with no destination was tiring. I wanted to rest, but my fear of my thoughts invading me was too strong. Focusing on putting one foot in front of the other was better.

I wondered if SCP 096 had killed my family yet. I winced at the thought. I wanted them to be okay, but the thought of them living in constant fear was heartbreaking as well.

I could feel my throat scratching and begging for water. I was scared to go through all the supplies fast, so I wanted to wait until I absolutely needed it. Maybe I absolutely needed it now.

I stopped and sat on the ground, slinging my bag off my shoulders. Even though it wasn't that heavy, it was a relief to take it off. I unzipped the largest pocket and felt around for any bottles. During my search, I felt my jacket that I was desperate for last night. I paused, clenching it in my fist. Pure frustration and anger clawed at my mind, threatening to take over my body. I took a few deep breaths, trying to focus on the water.

Eventually I felt a semi-cool bottle. My heart skipped a beat. I let the plastic-tasting liquid effortlessly slide down my scratchy throat, helping me feel a little less hopeless. I wasn't even disgusted by the lukewarm temperature.

After a nice water break, I screwed the cap back on and slid it into a side pocket so that I wouldn't lose it. I zipped the bag and put it back on, ready for another day of endless walking.

I was, at least. I heard footsteps beside me in the near distance, and it sounded like they were getting closer. I froze, trying my best to listen more than I ever have before. After another second or two of the sound, I ran.

My new blindness caused me to stumble and trip over my feet, but I didn't stop running. I could hear fast footsteps behind me smacking against what I assumed was pavement. The footsteps kept getting louder, closer, faster, until I felt something grab my wrist.

I let out a shriek and tried to pull away, but I lost my balance and fell on my elbows and knees, the unknown being falling on top of me. I let out a sob and kicked it away, struggling to get up. It grabbed onto both my wrists, pulling me closer. I kicked my legs desperately, screaming for somebody, anybody to help me, though I knew nobody would. My eyes were flooding with salty tears, and my mind was flooding with thoughts of death.

"Stop!" an unfamiliar voice shouted. I froze, breathing heavily. The grip on my wrists loosened slightly. "It's okay," it said. "I'm not going to hurt you."

I tried to calm my breathing. "Take your blindfold off," it said. I pulled my hands away. "No," I said shakily. "I'm not stupid." The voice laughed slightly and said, "I don't have mine on. How else would I catch you?" I shook my head. "Leave me alone," I muttered.

"I am in a group of survivors that have found each other. SCP 096 isn't after any of us. We made a safe-haven where we can take our blindfolds off and be together."

"How do you know?" I questioned.

"Know what?"

"That it isn't after you. People can lie."

"You're very untrusting."

I could hear a smile in his voice. "You are welcome to join us," he continued. "We won't force you to remove your blindfold, but you will be the only one wearing it."

I thought about it. Being surrounded with people who understand the fear and hiding. Being able to work with others to survive, not just begging for myself to figure it out. Being able to see.

"One night," I decided. "I will stay for one night, and I am keeping my blindfold on." I heard shuffling from the person and a hand gripping onto mine. I flinched and pulled away. "I'm just helping you up," he said. I shook my head and stood up on my own. The person let out a sigh. "Will you follow me blind, too?" he asked. "Or will you let me guide you?"

I sighed. I definitely wasn't enjoying this person's company. First, he—assuming he is a guy—chased me down and laughed when I was scared. He tried to get me to take my blindfold off, wanting to lead me into an unknown group with people I don't know. Now he wanted me to trust him to guide me into, for all I know, my doom.

I held out my hand.

His company was better than none.