Bored Shorts

If you think of art as the object which is left behind then Performance Art is something that will you may never understand. People often think acting or performing arts and it's nothing like that. In fact, Performance Art is a rare form of conceptual art where the artist has a realizations of self as their work and their entire existence as Art. In order to accomplish such an existence or to even reach such an understanding it takes years of training and often times a sort of trauma that allows that person to exist outside of their given system.

"You are a performance artist when you can do nothing else." -Marina Abromović

Marina was unique in the sense that she added the aspect of socialization to Performance Art. It's important for each Artist to add something to their work that's unique to the field. We work just as scientists do. Testing what works and what doesn't until we understand and can make others understand.

To a Performance Artist, and in most regards, to a Conceptual Artist, Art is not the physical object we covet. The Object is simply a memory of what happened which is left behind. Art is the energy which occurs when an Artist creates something. If the ultimate goal in art is the mimetic. Then the performance artist who can say existentialism as art and live an altruistic life would be the ultimate art.

While one of the major things about performance is the fact that there is nothing to sell or buy because the artist is the art. I don't believe in the idea that there need not be any memories left behind. Like Marina Abromovich who's social aspects seemed like a natural progression in the field of Performance Art I also use a Social aspect. However I take it to the next natural step. Social Media, the Internet and Online Dating are where my performance occur.

The series Who IM are an early example of one on one IM conversations that are juxtaposed over the very images of myself used to attract that conversation. These performances occurred in gay dating sites such as Manhunt and Craigslist and were culled out of a series called "What we Found on Craigslist" and represent a the creation of the character Chase Alias which is also something unique to Performance Art. The simple idea of using method acting techniques to create characters and be whomever you wish. This is something people regularly do online. In fact many have grabbed hold of the term chasealias as a term for an an online screen name and character sketch, and a way of protecting ones freedom of speech without having to "Remain Anonymous".