A Mother's Word

I was just a kid back then, I was terrified, and felt anything but warm. I have to admit that my first kill might as well be one of the most painful ones in my entire life. I was enthusiastic, bright, and most of all happy. My father disappeared when I was around six years old, and ever since then, my mother raised me on my own. I loved my mother, she was kind, caring, gentle, and she always knew what to do or say in any situation. She was brilliant in some ways, but sometimes her knowledge scared me. She knew how to clean blood without leaving any evidence that it was even there. She told me how to dispose of a body properly and how to frame someone for murder if they ever found the remains. What techniques were suitable to get the job done? Trust me when I say that I've asked her about her obsession with murder, but since I was still young she told me that she just watches a lot of crime documentaries. Didn't explain much but it was the answer I received. Everything changed when I was fifteen years old. I was a freshman in high school, with a group of friends that I'd hung out with. My friend Madison and I were best friends, we did what all young girls do. Go out to the mall, have dinner together, go to sports games, make plans for the future, and even have sleepovers whenever we could. We were inseparable really. Madison's mom was also close with my mom. It was just some lazy afternoon when the two of them came over to our house. Madison and I went up to my room, while our parents talked about business. At the time I was very curious about what this business even was. It seemed so important to mom and yet I had no idea what it could be. I was absolutely clueless back then, now I wish that I'd stayed that way for longer than I should've. I watched as Madison flopped onto my bed dramatically.

"You have no idea how long it took for me to get my mom to drive me over here!" Madison began.

"Your mom has always been hard to get at, good thing she said yes though. Easy on my sheets, I just washed them."

"Sorry," She said sitting up, "Anyways, any idea what your mom could be?"

"No clue, I've been stumped for ages, any luck with your mom?"

"She says that she's an office worker, but now that I think about it office workers work in the day."

"Like Samantha's parents?"

"No Jenni's parents remember?"

"Right, Sam's parents go overseas."

"Exactly, they could be doing anything and we're clueless on what it could be."

Our mothers refused to tell us about what their jobs are. Their jobs make good pay, we have good houses and even go to the same private school together. Our futures were already laid out in front of us and we didn't know what it was all for. Our subtle conversation came to a close whenever Madison's mom called for her. We both came downstairs and met her mom at the door.

"Goodbye Mrs. Fairchild, see you at school tomorrow Madie!" I called.

"See you tomorrow Nex! Bye Miss Downright!"

"So long dear, it was nice speaking to you Launa."

"Same to you."

The two left the house and went back home. My smile dropped immediately, it was sure lonely without Madison. It was just my mom and me, we had no one else aside from Spooky, a cat we found in the backyard. My mom went to the kitchen as dinner simmered on the stove, just about ready to be served. We were having a pot roast and rice, my favorite. I waited until she served dinner to ask her my question. I nervously picked at my food, as I watched my impatience showing its true colors.

"Is something wrong honey? Usually, you'd be asking if there's going to be seconded by now."

"I'm okay, I just have a question." I began.