9 -- The Fall

"Sleet, honey?" She couldn't recognise the voice, but she heard her brother whisper after.

"She's moving," Sky pointed out.

"Sleet?" A nose pressed against her cheek. She opened her eyes and saw Shale. One of the elders stood beside him. Cookie came into the room with a mouthful of leaves.

Sleet looked around, unable to move her aching head. She was inside the tent in the back. The show was long over, and the masters were packing up. A bowl of water laid by her side and blankets wrapped the bales beneath her. "Did I... black out?" she asked.

The elder nodded sadly as Cookie began to press the chewed leaves to her forehead and chest. She felt warm air on her ears. Xerus whimpered softly.

Sleet looked up, careful not to disturb the mesh soaking her face. "Xerus, I'm okay, don't worry." By the faint shadows, the tortoiseshell could tell the puppy had her tail straight down but wagging with relief. She whimpered louder, now licking the tip of cat's ear. "Xerus, no." She stopped mid-lick.

"Here," Cookie said, holding out a strong-smelling, minty leaf to the puppy. "Chew on this."

As Xerus chomped on the juices, Shale asked the white-and-black cat: "What does that do?"

"It's just a mint leaf," she explained. "It'll help calm her down."

"How do you know so much about medicine?" Sky asked, obviously in awe.

The she-cat's eyes clouded. "My mom." The cats stood quiet.

"You're talking about Mom?" It was Ceris. She had walked in just as her sister mentioned the she-cat. Cookie hid her face. Ceris glanced at Sleet, resting her eyes on hers. Sleet studied the spring in her reflection. Her gaze traveled to her nose that was black in color. I never noticed that.

"Are you feeling alright?" she asked. Sleet smiled, a sweet, adoring smile.

"We should let her rest," Shale intervened. He glanced at his brother and the elder. "Cookie and Ceris know what they're doing." What Sleet didn't notice as the cats left with Xerus bounding behind was the swift wink passed from brother to brother.

"I'll go bring some more herbs," Cookie said quietly. "You'll be fine for right now." The white-and-black she-cat crumpled the remaining herbs in her mouth and left the tent, leaving the two cats in the dim light.

"You're really lucky to have so many care for you," Ceris breathed.

Sleet blinked. "What do you mean?"

Ceris shrugged. "I mean Cookie is an amazing sister, but you have an entire circus to care for you."

"Oh," Sleet mewed. "I thought a bunch of you performed."

"We do, we just... don't have, what do you call them, masters?"

Sleet watched the ceiling. She wished she could help somehow, but there wasn't much she could do. She could always ask the cats to come back with her, but having been around, it seemed like everyone knew everyone, and she didn't want to break apart that bond.

She felt warmth on her cheek. Ceris licked her gently, grooming out the fur that had frizzed in the fall. The tortoiseshell felt her heart race. The white she-cat watched her gaze and smiled.

Sleet purred, earning a blush from the other.