We Were Right

Belarus||Male
Latvia||Male

Between the Western Daugava river, there lays two different, yet very similar villages. On its left, there's Druja, and on its right, Piedruja.

Now, by the name, yes, they are indeed similar. What makes them different, however, is the countries- or more likely, republics- they belong to. It can be said that both belong to the Soviet Union, but they didn't wanna let that slide.

Druja is Belarusian, belonging to the BSSR. The other, Piedruja, is Latvian, belonging to the LSSR.

After the supposed Soviet occupation in both states, USSR agreed that the Daugava river was like a border between both socialist republics, and let it off.

It was only in the early 1990's that a true border between both states went into effect again, this time pretty much lasting up to 2022 and more.

Both republics became independent, strong countries, with their own problems; Belarus and Latvia.

During the soviet times, they were good comrades, always there for each other, playing near the river.

But what had changed?

It's not like they don't see each other when they go fishing, but they surely felt a distance between them. It was like a permanent border, at least, that's how it felt.

Well, today, they might make a difference. Time to change history.

...

Latvia was doing his usual walk to the river, smelling flowers on the way. This was his routine. It hurt when he saw the border post, because it's hard being split. He understood other nations like South Korea and their problems.. especially because he and Belarus used to be so close. Today he hoped he saw the one he was looking for, the person who used to make him smile. At least, under USSR and his conditions.

Latvia sighed and gently grabbed a flower off the grass, putting it in his pocket and continuing to walk until he finally had the river in sight.

"There it is," he said under his breath, hearing the lovely sounds of the water.

He looked to the side, at a bridge. That was new, because Latvia is the one who made it! Mostly as an alternative, but also because originally, both people of the republics didn't have an actual border, just a temporarily one, and they could easily swim to get to the other side without problems. Nowadays, some refuse to talk to others when they cross paths, and to get to Belarus they'd have to go around, on a 90km circular route.

Latvia figured it wasn't right. He'd been very careful and on his spare time, he managed to build a small bridge. He wanted to see his 'friend' more than ever. He missed him, their little chats, he still remembers the times they both hanged out right in front of this very river! Those were his best childhood memories, and he really hoped Belarus would show up.

He gave the bridge another look, this time more hesitant. He didn't know what was better, to stay here until he comes, or to go in the opposite village and wait for him there. But he overthought it, thinking that villagers would see him and even worse, go after him. He knew how aggressive belarusians got since the fall of USSR. He understood, unlike other countries such as Ukraine. He didn't really miss the soviet all that much, but man he had better relations with others back then. Or so that's what he hoped for, he knew most were being brainwashed by the union, but still had to keep silent.

Latvia sighed and closed his eyes for a moment, sitting down on the grass,watching the river's water flow. He decided to wait patiently.

...