chapter 1

Sadness, Mortification, and Misery, that's my life, hi my name is Ximena Gonzales I'm 15 years old. My mom died when I was 10 my dad shot her, then shot himself. I live with my uncle José which is funny because he's always drunk and he's not even old enough to buy alcohol he's only 19, how can he raise me? Does he even know what I feel? I have all these questions but no answers. I remember coming home on Tuesday at 3:00 am, suddenly a guy behind me hit me in the head with a rock. I remember waking up in a place I've never seen before. A man with a nice suit comes to me & starts touching me, he grabs me a throws a lingerie says "get dressed, you're next "I looked at him with terror, tormenting agony pulsed through every vein in my body. All the girls are looking at me with a face of sorrow and misery. The man walked off. I looked at one of the girls and asked "Where are we?" She responded with a voice of fear "Don't talk, if they hear us you'll get punished" and I stayed quiet. I asked myself what's going on? What is my uncle going to think? More questions but still no answers. It's been two years and me escaping has never succeeded, why can't my mom just be here? Why did my scumbag dad have to kill her? I'm planning to run away on December 20th. The pimp, Carlos boy he's going to burn, he's going to feel the pain I felt when all those guys left a mark! He's going to suffer, I will comeback he's going to regret it All! I have to finish packing, but there's a problem. One of the girls that bunks with me has figured out what I'm trying to do. I begged her not to turn me in, she said she wouldn't but she wants me to come back for her. I promised her I will, if I get out alive. As I walked into the restroom I noticed that one of the goons that work for Carlos was looking at me from top to bottom. That look wasn't uncomfortable I've lived with it for a while now. I went into the restroom and opened the window there was nobody outside I didn't even know where I was at but I managed to get out and I ran as fast as I could. Then I noticed a corner store. I went in there and tried to call my uncle José but nobody answered. The manager looked at me and told me that the second call had a $5.00 fee "but I don't have any money" I responded and he told me to please leave. I didn't try to put up a fight I got out of that store. I had no problem I was free I had nobody to force me to do anything or hit me. It feels amazing to be free; I can finally do all the things I never could. I walked and it started to get dark and I had nowhere to stay I'm sure that Carlos was probably looking for me. As I walked I saw a gas station and I went inside the restroom. I thought maybe I can stay here without the owner realizing, and that's exactly what I did I woke up the next morning and went outside. I asked a stunning young lady with pale skin, a cowgirl hat , cowgirl boots, and a little mole by her cheek where I was at she said, "why hello there missy you're in the great state of Alabama" she responded With a country accent I asked her if she could help get back to Texas & what was her name she responded "Yes but, why don't you come stay with me for the holidays When that's over I'll help find your way back to texas, and by the way i'm Sarah Brown" I get to her house and it was gorgeous it was a beautiful ranch it had cows, horses, pigs, anything you could possibly name. She has a husband that's a general in the army, Corey Brown. Two daughters, 3 sons and a son-in-law. As soon as one of her daughters saw, me she talked to me. At first I thought she wanted something from me, but what was there to give? She told me she saw the pain in me, then asked "what's your name and how old are you?" i guess she was one of the spiritual hippies but I told her "I'm Ximena you don't pronounce the x my mom thought it was unique and I'm 17, what about you?" she told me "I'm Katherine Hernandez I'm also seventeen and I'm married my husband's name is Daniel Hernandez. My mom says he's not a good guy and always asks me why i'm with him if were from two different worlds. were staying with them for now that will do till we find our own place" then asked "Tell me a little more about you." trying not to freak out with anger I said "Well my mom was killed by my dad, then my dad shot himself. I was ten when that happen and i was living with my uncle until one day coming home from a party I saw a van following me and I walked faster and faster but then i turned around and i saw a guy wearing black, he hit me in the head and I don't remember anything after that but waking up with warm blood dripping through my body. It was a place where no girl would dream of living in, we moved to a lot of places. She hugged me. I did not know how to react it felt kind of awkward like when your mom makes you talk to faraway relatives. Eventually i got over it and she took me to the guest room.