Evening

Copyright Laura Piper 2013

"Seriously Julie. Your point of reference is like you're riding on the muon not on earth. You're comparing 'normal' time to the dilated time of the muon." I explained.

Julie scrunched her nose and burried her face in her pillow. She was terrible at physics, but she had to take a beginning class for her engineering major.

"But... the muon is in the earth's atmosphere... so its frame of reference is earth," she argued.

"But Julie, it’s not physically touching the earth. The muon is moving through the air," I reasoned.

She slammed her book shut and pouted.

"I quit," she moaned.

I started digging in my backpack. In times like these there was only one thing to make Julie stop being a baby: food. My fingers wrapped around my last fruit roll up. I was saving it for later, but Julie needed it more.

I offered the snack to my hopeless friend. Without hesitation, Julie had snatched it from my hands and was devouring it. A little piece of my soul died while watching her eat. She had no respect for how to properly enjoy the flavor.

"Thanks, I needed that," she grinned.

My eyes involuntarily rolled. 

"Hey, don't you need to pick up a coffee maker or something?" she teased.

I glared at her. The last thing on my mind was going to the store to get Sarah a new coffee maker. Besides, I was broke. The last time I worked was when we went home for Thanksgiving Break.

"I might be willing to lend you some cash," Julie began.

"What's the catch," I hissed.

That caught her attention. Julie was grinning like a cheshire cat. She knew I would do anything she wanted in order to get out of the dog house with my snobby roommate.

"Well... If you ever see Will again... I want you to ask him to a movie or something," she purred.

"Ok," I growled.

Julie thrust her perfectly manicured hand into her purse and retrieved a fifty dollar bill. 

"Keep the change. It might help you pay for your date," Julie commented. 

I stood to go to the store, but Julie remained seated. Her headphones were sitting on her ears and she was deeply enthralled in a movie on her laptop. Wow that girl needed an attention span.

On my way out of her room, I flicked the back of her head. She didn't even flinch. I guess she wasn't going to give me any pleasure from tormenting her tonight.

Quietly I shut her door and skipped down the hall. My only goal for the night was to get my psycho roommate off my back with a new coffee machine. The freshmen parking lot was two miles away; I decided to take the bus.

I waited awkwardly at the bus stop. Luckily it came after five minutes. With a sigh, I grabbed my purse and got on.