CHAPTER 11:Innocent Eyes

Earth-612

Elizabeth's POV:

"Liz..." I heard my mom called me out, snapping me out of the haze I am in and I turned to look at her. "She's awake." With that, I quickly stood up and with my heart beating its way out of my chest, I ran as fast as I can with my mom hot on her heels following me.

I ran by across the window of the room she's in. She looks more calmer than before, while wandering her eyes around the room as her parents tries to talk to her. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

She's awake.

I looked back to my mom and she nodded with an encouraging smile before I completely hold the knob and open the door of the room, making all the attention of the people inside the room go to me.

And in that moment, I once again felt my breath caught its way out of my throat as she looks at me with those very innocent eyes, so naive that while she's looking at me, the longer she's looking at me, she's looking almost like a lost toddler.

I saw her parents tell her something, before hugging her and giving her kisses on each side of her head before leaving the room, but not before her dad patted me on the shoulder, and her mom giving me a very much needed hug.

When I heard the door closed, I walked slowly towards her. The way she fisted the blanket she was covered in like a toddler didn't go unnoticed by me, making me halt in my movements before continuing to walk towards her slowly again.

When I finally stood in front of her beside the bed, the fear and confusion in her eyes is now more visible to me. It hurts. Seeing her looking at me like that, like a complete stranger who she thinks might hurt her.

I completely towered her over, but I leaned to to have a better look of her before giving in to the urge of holding her face in my hands. I cradled is like it's fragile, oh she is fragile, yes.

"Hi, my love." The the floodgates started to open, through my blurry eyes I saw and felt her head shook while trying to get her head back from my hands. "It's me. It's just me, my darling. I won't hurt you, look..." I pulled a chair and sat down so I am completely in her eye level. "It's Elizabeth..." I took her left hand and put it on my face, it's so cold, but either way, I didn't let it go as I tell her who I am like it's the first time.

"It's Lizzie, remember? I won't hurt you, my angel. Nobody's gonna hurt you as long as I'm here, understand?" I said ever so gently as if I'm talking to a child. I saw how tears brimmed in her eyes, her lips slowly forming into a frown into a pout. "I won't let anyone take you from me, ever again, okay? It's just you and me here." I finished, before closing my eyes as I flattened her palm on my cheek, soaking it all up.

Her little sniffle broke me out of the haze I'm in, and my heart softened when I saw her tear stained little face, looking at me with the most innocent eyes as if she's asking for more comfort.

"Y-you're not... W-wanda?" She whispered and I almost didn't heard it.

"No..." I whispered, saying it gently under my breath, afraid that if ever I used my normal voice, I'd scare her away. "I'm not, darling." I gave her a sad hoping smile, with my eyes talking- asking for her trust.

"Y- You won't... You won't hurt me?" She asked, pulling back her hand as she looked up at me with fear visible in her eyes.

Suddenly, without the contact of her warm hands, my heart broke, and it did over and over again when I heard her ask that question.

Ofcourse, "I won't." I raised my hand up to her face and watched as she closed her eyes, her ragged breath fanning over my palm. I tuck some hairs that fell on her face in the back of her ear, before I went to caressed her cheeks and watched as she relaxed.

"I won't ever hurt you, my love. I promise, okay? I'm not... I'm not whoever that Wanda is. Look..." Now, both of my hands are holding her face to look up at me, but her eyes still held the same uneasiness. "It's me, baby. Your fiancee, remember? Elizabeth." I held her face ever so gently while caressing it to make her more relax.

"I won't ever let anyone get close to you, and hurt you. I promise that, my angel. I will protect you from anyone and everyone, do you understand me?" I carefully said every words with love and determination as tears feel down from my eyes.

"You- you're not lying?" I saw how tears started to brim out of her eyes, and once again I felt my chest became heavy just as it did almost 8 months ago, just as it did when I firt saw her again.

All hopeless.

Crying.

Looking so broken.

All because of me.

"I- I'm not, darling. I'm not, I promise." I told her, before leaning up to kiss her on the forehead. "I promise, I'll find whoever did this to you, angel. God, I'll make them pay." I pull her in me, and second by second, I felt her relaxing, her head tucked into my neck as I held her like I missed her for years.

And I did, did I not?

"I-I'm scared..." I almost did not heard it, it sound almost like a whimper.

And that just broke my heart a million little times once again.

"I know, baby. I know." Tears brimmed in my eyes as I felt so useless in that very moment, but with one thing on my mind.

Anger.