{Chapter 1}

The rule goes that at a certain time; they allocated you an age you are supposed to marry. Wed before this age and you will be safe. Never marry... The consequences are very grave. The first time I saw it, I was nine years old. Getting married before 16 is a requirement for me. I have never considered getting married at such a young age.

There is a gown picked out for me by the maids. This is an extremely important day. We discuss something that concerns this kingdom and my mother. A heavy gown weighs me down as I am escorted to my mother's study.

I am invited in after knocking on the door. "Mother, you have summoned me?" I say, my bow on point.

"Your Birthday is approaching, and we have appealed to suitors. Pick one, and make me proud," she speaks, massaging her head with one hand. My birthday... The one she voices is one month away.

To avoid upsetting her, I asked, "When are they arriving?"

"By daylight, tomorrow" her response ends and she dismisses me. The morning lessons begin in half an hour. Today is politics and debate. I try to pay attention but I keep going back to 'Selecting a Suitor' so that I can Wed.

  Right. All I have to do is pick one. Easy enough. As the lesson progresses, I have but one thought on my mind. Even if I pick a suitor, I won't love them like mother loves father.

"Your highness?"

"Hmm?"

Throughout the whole time, I seemed to have been stepping through my thoughts, and not have heard the question. "Could you repeat the question?" I say, half drained.

I didn't pay attention to most of my classes and have returned to my room. Philip has always been my go-to for problems. This time? It is not different. He was still cleaning my room when I entered.

He looked and asked, "My lady, what is wrong?"

"Everything! Mama wants me to pick a suitor and marry him before I turn sixteen" I reply, my arms covering my eyes, and laying with my back on the bed. Philip's footsteps came closer, and I sat upright in bed. He might give me a promising plan on how to slip out of this alive. He won't.

What good would a servant's idea do? Other than driving them away. Laying there and pondering is the last thing I needed to do. And tomorrow the real test began.

I'm up at the crack of dawn as usual. Considering this is important I have picked my dress out instead. Gold trimmings, dark orange dress. Knee length, of course. Only the mother would not approve. I fetched a maid and asked her to get Philip. He can lengthen this.

Philip rushes in and bows. Grabbing his arm, and requesting the maid out, I let my problems out.

"I see..."

I enter as I would at any other ball. Mother stands there looking off into the distance.