sweet caramel

Time is ticking; he's never run late.

Grumbling curses as he struggles to put on his sneakers, he takes a quick glance at his watch reading 7:46am.

7:46?! I have class at 9am!

He frantically runs out the door of his apartment like he just doesn't stay a few blocks away from his university. Up all night working on his manuscript, Scaramouche has not had enough sleep last night to deal with this shit.

Being one of the top students in his class, he has never been late to a single lecture. Ever. He was just the kind of student who preferred to miss a few meals and hours of sleep just to maintain his record. And this morning was not going to stain his spotless attendance.

So here we are, scrawny little computer science nerd running to school with droopy eyes and dark circles. Nope, not enough sleep to deal with anything today.

"Ah fuck," he cusses, a dumbfounded look on his face as he stares through the glass pane of the empty coffee shop where he grabs his usual morning coffee. He loves coffee and always has his coffee to start his day. Just how unlucky could he be; why did it have to be closed today?

Short detour, he spots another coffee shop near the campus, just across the gate. Perfect! It's a small local coffee shop, no big names, no flashy signs; a little different from the ones he normally visits. He rushes in, scanning for the menu.

A boy slightly taller than him with a little red streak in his hair was wiping the counters when Scaramouche stressfully asked where their menu was.

Oh. It was right in front of him, written on a little tabletop chalkboard.

A little embarassed, his face tinted pink. He scanned the menu. Hot or iced: americano, latte, cappuccino... ah, caramel macchiato and options for additional milk or syrup!

"I'll have an iced caramel macchiato with extra milk and syrup."

He told him his order, giving them both chances to exchange gazes at each other. His eyebrows furrowed a little, then raised in realization, "No way, you're that nerd in theatre who dresses funny. Kaedahara, was it?"

"Dresses funny? I guess you're right," Kazuha chuckled, "and you're the nerd from computer science. From the first look, I would've thought you were an americano guy."

"Wh–What's that supposed to mean? And I'm no nerd! I just manage to ace the classes and make the most of what I pay! Why is college tuition so damn expensive anyway..." He grumbled, crossing his arms.

Kazuha laughs, "I don't know, you just seem like one of those persons who say I like my coffee as dark as my soul." He jokes while he starts to work the espresso machine.

His hands delicately measuring the beans and tamping down the grounds. The coffee shop was empty, and the only noises were coming from outside the window and the espresso machine. It was peaceful. The ambience was pleasant and the aroma from coffee beans filled the room. Neutral colors of the wall contrasted with the many pot plants and hanging plants bringing the place life.

Most of the light indoors was coming from sunrays, bouncing off of Kazuha's skin. From a closer look, he really had a nice, smooth complexion. His tied up white hair also glistened under the refracted light of the sun. He wore a brown apron over his clothes, keeping him tidy and well kept. He was really good with his hands, no spillage or knocking things over.

Something about him calmed Scaramouche down. But now his heart was racing because of something else.

He was standing there timidly, watching him work. Staring, he was staring so intently. What? Why? Weird, but did he notice? I hope he didn't notice. Oh man, gross, he feels like a giddy little high school girl. Gross. So engrossed in his academics, he realized it was the first time he had ever felt attraction towards another person.

For some reason, Scaramouche, the charismatically challenged comp. sci major, decides to break the silence. "So, you come here often?"

He feels like he's shrinking on the inside. Why would he ask that? He WORKS here.

"Well, I'm also in university, so I just work part-time really. Just want to help my family's business whenever I have free time."

Free time? He has free time? But he's in university—how?

They talked for a little about the shop and asking which classes they might have in common. "You know, you need to loosen up once in a while." Theatre nerd's right. They're only freshmen, and there's still a lot of years they have to spend cramming on projects due months later.

Drizzling extra caramel sauce on top of the drink, Kazuha covers it with a lid. He writes something while the other was busy looking at their phone. With a smile, he hands over the drink and Scaramouche pays. They say their goodbyes and the black-haired boy heads off to his class.

He takes a sip of his sweet caramel macchiato, noticing written words on the cup: "Support local businesses, be our regular" with a heart. I think he definitely caught him staring.

Scaramouche is so confused. His face is warm he's flustered, he's... shrugging off the ick? And he ends up drinking the same coffee with the same boy the next morning.

end

a/n: hi its been years idk why i wrote this and why the fuckis wattpad monetized now

when theatre kid who dresses funny