Big City Boyfriends

Charlie/Emily from Broadcasting Christmas

-------

"Shout out to all of the big city boyfriends who get dumped on Christmas Eve for small town guys wearing flannel," one of the makeup artists working on his co-anchor said with a laugh, gesturing at the television. His co-host let out a laugh.

Why on earth, Charlie Fisher thought, a Christmas movie was playing on a cable channel at 4am was beyond him, but whatever. It wasn't so much the formulaic rom com playing in the background or even Christmas itself that stuck in his head.

It was the offhand joking comment itself. A year before, he'd been that big city boyfriend. He wasn't sure Alison had dumped him for some flannel wearing guy, who knows maybe she had. But on Christmas Eve, she'd come back to the city from visiting her aunt and had come over to his apartment.

"It's not you Charlie, it's me . . . ." why did breakups always start with that line? She'd told him that his schedule had nothing to do with it, though he felt like maybe she was letting him down easy. She'd just realized during her trip that New York wasn't for her and she'd found her true calling in a small town and she was leaving by the New Year.

The thing stuck in the back of his mind throughout the news, even though his brain should be on his upcoming gig and the best ways to land that coveted spot on Rise & Shine. He wondered if Alison was now married to some small town guy wearing flannel. Actually if he'd been left for another guy, it would have stung less than yet another breakup simply because he didn't measure up. They never understood and he was never good enough for them to overlook his schedule. Only one woman ever had and he was resolutely not going to think about a tiny blonde dynamo who had been the lo- . . . .nope, not going to go there.

He sighed heavily, he needed coffee and fresh air. That's what he needed. He needed to get Alison and Em- stop it Charlie!  Women in general off his mind. He needed to focus.

"Hey, isn't that your ex?"

Emily . . . .

But in the end, the small town girl found her dreams and her guy in the big city. And the big city guy had a happily ever after, after all.