theres no escape: Chapter five

Chapter: five

Bursting open the front door the house looked like a mess. Smashed picture frames and tables unturned.

Peter was sitting on the couch stiches in his head. He looked horrible. Bruises and cuts covered the parts of the body I could see. Who would do this do a man that from what I know everybody loved in this town?

“What happened here?” I ask kneeling down in front of him.

The look in his eyes said it all. IN a moment he had lost his man hood.

“I don’t know princess,” he said nearly crying “One minute I was watching the game and the next two people come up and start attacking me,”

“There were two of them?” I asked checking him.

They could have killed him given half a chance. Thinking about what could have been broke my heart. He was the only family I had left.

 “Yeah bub,” He said giving me a half smile “But your old man put up quite a fight, trust me they look worse than I do,” He said making boxing signs in the air. I couldn’t help but laugh at him. I could tell that he was trying to make light of the situation and it was working.

“You right dad,” I said messing with his hair gently.

That’s where we sat for a little bit. Laughing and talking about anything other than what had just happened. And for a moment we forgot everything.

Handing him another bowl of ice cream, he devoured it like a man that hadn’t eaten in days. Know I know where I got my messy eating from.

“Hold up big boy, you don’t want to ruin your figure now do you?” I asked pushing him lightly.

“I’ll have you know your dad is a fine looking man,” He said winking at him.

“Oh god you’re a worry dad, I am going to get changed,”

Walking into my room I froze, on the wall, a note as clean as day was written hanging just over my bed. My body felt numb and I let out a scream.

YOU DON’T BELONG HERE!!!!!

Shaking violently I felt my body hit the ground and the world around me went black.

I awoke in my bed hours later, safe and sound under my blankets, my meds and a glass of water beside my bed. Taking them I just lay there in the darkness, thinking about anything that could put me to sleep again.

“You’re awake,” Peter said coming into my room. The look of worry was all over his face as he looked down upon me. In his hand a mug of hot chocolate. “It has marshmallows in it you use to love them,”

“That was when I was six dad,” I said taking the mug out of his hands “But thank you,”

Sitting there I couldn’t shake this feeling. Something bad was going to happen, worse than peter getting beaten up by two stupid people, if that was even possible. It was a macabre feeling I couldn’t put my finger on, which scared me more than anything else in the world.

 “I know it’s been a tough day,” He said putting his arm around me “But trust me it will get better in time,”

“How do you know?” I asked

“Because it has to,”

He climbed in next to me and held me. It felt good having someone hold me when I needed it. Even after all I put him through – well what me being here has put him through- he still loved me.

“If I told you something completely crazy would you think I was insane?” I asked

“Honey nothing you can say to me can making me think you are insane,” He said “The doc wouldn’t have let you out if you were,”

Letting a few tears fall from my eyes. He kissed my forehead and pushed my hair off my face, the way mother would when I was upset or lonely.

“I think he’s back,” I said through the tears “I think Glen has found me,”

“Honey that can’t happen,” he said holding me closer “He’s lock far away and there is no way he would make it out, let alone find you all the way out here,”

“But how do you explain everything happened,” I said “I mean people broke into our home and bashed you up, they could have killed you,”

“There’s something I should tell you,” He said sitting me up. Apart of me didn’t like this series tone to his voice. “Some people aren’t thrilled to have you…but I love having you here, your my baby girl….people around here just tend to think that you would bring trouble with you,”

“So they think I am bad new or crazy?” I asked.

He didn’t answer me and kissed me on the forehead before walking out of the room.

“Dad Wait,”

Coming to the door he peeked in on me.

“You don’t think I am crazy do you?”

“No bub,” he said “I just think you’re a very young girl that has been through trauma and pains to last a life time….now go to sleep,”

The feeling of uneasiness didn’t pass with his words. I kept thinking that he was back for me, to finish the job he started a year ago. Maybe I was going crazy.