Chapter 1

"It looks like you have a baby girl. Congratulations," Dr. Reed said to me and Anthony. I looked up at Anthony as the Doctor turned off his equipment. A smile came across his face and he stroked my cheek, which made me smile back at him.

We walked out to the car and I rubbed my round belly, smiling. The parking lot was packed full of vans and cars, mostly white. The air is cold, and a breeze is making it even more cold. I hug my jacket around me, crossing my arms trying to get warm.

"Meg, you really need to buy another jacket. Maybe, I don't know, a thicker one. It's almost winter," Anthony said, using his cute little nickname he gave me. His jacket is soon slung around my shoulders and his arms are hugged around me.

"I've been meaning to get out of the house and go to the store, I just haven't gotten around to it," I reply, grabbing his arms.

"Well tell you what, lets go right now and buy you a new coat," Anthony says, opening the passengers door for me. I climb in and nod in agreement.

Anthony parked the car in the store parking lot and looked at me with a smile. “Ready?” He asked. “Yea,” I replied, getting out of the car and hugging his coat around me tightly. The gravel crunched under my shoes as I walked with Anthony up to the entrance of the store. The warm air surrounded me once I stepped in the store, and I smiled. 

We walked to the women’s clothes and looked through the coats for one that would fit. "Thanks Anthony," I said, smiling at him. Once we pay for the coat we go back to the car, and I return Anthony’s jacket. 

It was at least an hour before Anthony got home from work when things started to happen. I heard foot steps upstairs, which startled me immensely because no one was home but me.

"Honey! Do you want lasagna or mandarin chicken?" I hear Anthony say from the kitchen. I turn around and reply, "Mandarin chicken. I feel like having some Asian foods tonight," Anthony nods and goes over to the stove and starts preparing.

While Anthony is making us supper I hear footsteps upstairs again. I set my book down on the couch beside me and get up slowly, walking over to the stairs. I looked up the stair case, it was dark. The lights upstairs were off and it was only Anthony and I that were in the house. My bare foot patted against the hard wood steps as I walked upstairs quietly, trying not to scare what ever was up there. 

I got to the top of the stairs and looked around the corner to see if anyone was walking around. No one. My legs shook as I walked into the darkness of the halls. There  wasn’t a sign of anyone. Just emptiness throughout the upstairs. Then I heard something fall in the bathroom. A chill ran up my spine, and I walked closer to the bathroom. ‘I..Is anyone in here?’ I called out into the black abyss. I opened the bathroom door and walked in slowly, then the door shut behind me.

I screamed loudly and put my hands over my head, trying to block out the growls that were playing through my mind. I fell to my knees, hugging my stomach. A bottle of perfume flew off of the counter and broke on the wall, the liquid running down the walls. Quickly I stood up and ran over to the door, trying to open it but I couldn’t. It was being held shut. By something, the same something that was trying to hurt me. 

Finally I got the door to open and I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. ‘What’s going on?’ Anthony exclaimed, holding me in his arms. I cried loudly into his shirt as he tried to calm me down. 

Anthony walked me back upstairs, but it was a difficult job. I didn’t want to go up there. Something up there was trying to kill me, I knew it. Finally he got me into our room and tucked me into bed. ‘That’s funny. I remember closing this window.” Anthony said walking over and shutting it. Then he crawled into bed with me and hugged me tightly, which sent me to sleep quickly.

I woke up in the middle of the night, my eyes heavy from being tired. I silently rolled over and looked over at the window that had been opened just that night. It was open again. I sat frozen, fear running through me. Then I heard a growl. A whimper escaped my throat before another growl was heard. I screamed, feeling a sharp pain in my leg. 

"What!? What is it!?" Anthony yells, jumping up himself. 

"I...I heard...," I say, between my heavy breathing.

"What? You heard what?"Anthony asks, stroking my hair. I moved the blanket from over my legs to reveal a large gash in my leg. I cried heavily, looking away from the blood dripping wound. 

Anthony jumped up quickly and ran to the bathroom. Then the door shut. It got silent. The room seemed to be even darker than it was before. Loud bangs were heard from the other side of the door, and Anthony’s shouts. 

"Whatever you are! GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE!" He yells from the other side of the door and I can hear him sobbing loudly. ‘LEAVE HER ALONE!’ The banging proceeded as I looked around the room. Then the door flew open and Anthony followed, quickly he picked me up in his arms and ran out of the room.