The Neighbors

The Neighbors

Gabriel Washington considered himself a brilliant thirty year old business man. He worked at a prominent oil company as an accountant and night and day, he focused only on his job and rarely had time to go out. When he did manage some time to himself, in the back of his mind he was still thinking about work. Today, was an actual day off for him but he spent it in front of his laptop looking over account records.

It was bright and warm outside but he didn't care for it. All he wanted was to head back to work. Sighing, Gabriel carried his laptop to the living-room where he could watch the latest news and monitor the account records. As his gaze switched back and forth between the computer and t.v., Gabriel suddenly heard his door bell ring.

He looked down at himself. It was nothing too bad. A pair of boxers and a white tee wasn't indecent but he knew some of his neighbors were women and if they spotted him at the door with the attire, some might complain to their husband. Gabriel ran upstairs to grab his robe and then he headed to the door to answer it. Clad in the comfy, blue striped garment, Gabriel greeted a familiar guest.

" Hi, Mike. What can I do for you?"

Mike Summers smiled genuinely. He was a gorgeous, brown-haired man in his late twenties that looked like a stunning Jamie Bell with his bright eyes and remarkably large, cute ears. He spoke with a charming accent and everyone in the cul de sack enjoyed it-especially the women. Some of them would actually tease him about the British-ness in his voice but it was all in good spirit.

" It's a beautiful day out. I thought I'd fancy you to an invite to my place for a good dinner. However, if you're busy, I'll certainly understand it."

Gabriel fidgeted with the knot on his robe. The question really shocked him. He'd known Mike for only a month and hadn't suspected the young man was even interested in him. For the most part, they merely waved to each other in the morning and during the evening, they both exchanged nods and parted their way. It just seemed strange that the new neighbor would want his company. Then again, if he did not attend the dinner, it would reflect badly on him. Where he lived, word quickly traveled and one unhappy neighbor could poison a whole group.

" Oh, well, I never thought you'd ask me over but sure, of course. What time is good for you?"

The dark-haired man continued to smile warmly, " Eight would be good. I think you'll enjoy it. Well, then, I'll see you."

Gabriel watched his neighbor walk away. He studied him for a moment longer than he should have but this phenomenon could not be helped. Mike was a handsome guy with a body that Gabriel knew would leave anyone breathless. The lean, muscular physique was just the type he liked and Mike's silver-blue eyes weren't bad, either.

After watching Mike walk all the way back to his house, Gabriel finally closed the door. Naturally, he should have returned to the couch and started focusing on his computer but for some reason, he had no desire to continue his work. Instead, he had this urgent feeling to rush up stairs and find something reasonable to wear.