12

TWELVE

August 1999

The chilly air hit Hâroon as he carried Ibrâhîm out of the pediatric clinic, Yusrâ clutching his thawb. Yet another failed visit. Yet another doctor who didn’t know what was wrong. Yet another hope dead at his feet.

But Hâroon couldn’t give up on Ibrâhîm. Somehow, someday, he would find out what was wrong and how to help him. That day just wasn’t today.

“The doctor couldn’t help us,” Yusrâ stated.

“No, hon, he couldn’t.”

In the last year, Yusrâ seemed to be growing too fast for comfort. Of course he was proud of her for understanding Ibrâhîm was different and therefore needed more attention and care than she did, but lately she acted rather adult-like and he couldn’t help feeling concerned. She worried more about Ibrâhîm than she played and more than once he’d returned home to find she was the one supervising Ibrâhîm instead of their mother. A three-year-old was not supposed to be babysitting.

It was as if Lila was abandoning the role she had in Ibrâhîm’s life, and Yusrâ was trying to make up the difference in her own way. When his wife didn’t want to bother with Ibrâhîm’s behavior or his tantrums, Yusrâ was always there, ready to help, sometimes getting hurt in the process. Lila didn’t even come along to the doctor’s appointments anymore, but Yusrâ was always determined to tag along instead of staying home to play. The behavior was unnatural and concerning.

“What do we do now?” Yusrâ asked.

Hâroon hid how disturbed he was by the too adult tone of this conversation behind a smile. “We make du’â for Allâh to help us help Ibrâhîm and inn shâ Allâh I’ll find a doctor who knows what’s wrong soon.”

She nodded. “Of course.”

Determined to redirect her attention to something more age-appropriate than doctors’ appointments and Ibrâhîm’s struggles, he changed the subject. “Would you like to go to the park?”

She lit up, finally looking like the child she was supposed to be instead of a too serious miniature adult. “Yeah!” But then she looked at her brother and her expression changed. “But Ibrâhîm might try to run away.”

It was a common problem when taking Ibrâhîm out in open spaces. Hâroon had to always remember to keep a firm hold of him or he could rush into danger.

“I’ll be here to make sure he doesn’t,” he told her as they reached his parked car.

“You watch Ibrâhîm better than Mommy,” Yusrâ agreed. “Mommy gets tired.”

Hâroon couldn’t fault Lila for getting tired or frustrated. Ibrâhîm was difficult to care for. He got tired and frustrated, too. However, she was his mother and still had to fulfill her responsibilities toward him, just as he did. It wasn’t right to dump those responsibilities on their daughter who wasn’t even old enough to care for herself yet.

Hâroon loaded the children into the car, buckling them into their car seats. Then he handed Ibrâhîm a stuffed toy to play with from the diaper bag to keep him occupied during the drive to the park.

“I want a toy, too,” Yusrâ spoke up.

Hâroon dutifully dug through the bag and pulled out her favorite doll. “Is this what you want?”

She nodded her head vigorously. “Yes!”

He handed it to her. After double checking to make sure both children were securely buckled into their car seats, he closed the door. Then he got into the driver’s seat, started the car, and drove out of the clinic’s parking lot.