Chapter IV.

"Welcome to my house, Miss Crawford! When can you start?"

"Tomorrow, if you or Mrs. Rothstein wish."

"Ah, you're so kind. But you know what? You gotta get in shape. Go shopping, eat good food, invite the girlies for a coffee or whatever. Take your time, sweetheart. Enjoy your last free weekend." He chipped my cheek and then placed a huge amount of cash into my hand.

"Oh, Mr. Rothstein... It's very kind of you, but you don't need to give me money."

"Come on young lady. I have a lot of money, and I give it to whoever I want to. You gotta get used to it, you just became my employee!"

"But... It's different."

"Why? I'm going to pay you. Every single month. You better get used to it." He insisted to give me that load of cash. I really didn't want to accept it, but he was eager. And to be honest, how could I resist those dark orbs of his? "Oh and another thing..." he already turned his back to me, but made me face him again. "There are only two rules you must follow. If you don't, then I'm gonna have to fire you, understand?" I froze. I stood there dumbfounded.

"What are those rules, Mr. Rothstein?"

"You must never ever let her near the Tangiers. I'm tryna keep her as far as possible from that rotten place."

"Don't worry sir, I had no intention bringing Amy to the casino." I let out a fearful chuckle.

"And the second rule is you mustn't smoke near her. You're allowed to smoke, of course but don't do it when you're with my little princess."

"Okay sir. Thank you so much for letting me know!"

"I had no other choice. But you're a clever woman, gorgeous. I'm sure you understand and respect my concerns." He patted my shoulder, examining me for the hundredth time.

I had to sign some papers, exchange phone numbers, etc. I felt so happy and free when I left the Rothstein Mansion. Suddenly, I remembered that phone number that Nora, sorry, Abigail has slid into my palm the other day. I had to find a phone to let her know! I knew she would be happy for me. I could always count on her and vice-versa. Even though she was having a rough time, I felt it in my bones that she will not let down a delicious coffee. I threw some pennies inside the phone and just waited impatiently until she picked it up. I almost gave up, but when I noticed her silvery voice I was relieved.

"Is that you, Natalia?" She was whispering.

"Yes, it's me!" I agreed excitedly. "Guess what! I got the job at the Rothsteins! I am officially the nanny of Amy Rothstein!" I was almost screaming. "Are you up to a coffee? I really need to see you.." I was toying the curly wire of the old telephone while I waited for Abigail's answer.

"Listen Nat, I would love to. Really. But the issue is, that I'm afraid to leave my apartment. I know, I feel it that he has eyes everywhere. Especially when it comes to me..."

"Abby, you're scaring me." I scoffed with my brows furrowed. "What could possibly go wrong if you drink a coffee with your best friend?" I let out a long, hazy sigh. "I miss you." I admitted honestly. I could hear her concerned breaths on the line but somehow she managed to agree. She gave me the 'super secret coordinates' for our meeting.

"Don't be late Natalia! I know you like I know the back of my palm!" She screamed harshly.

"Hey, don't worry! I will be there, I can assure you!"

"You better be!" And after this, we hung up. I sprinted to a bus stop and got unbelievably thankful that I could catch the yellow bus just in time. As I rode it, I was gazing out the window thinking about Monday. My muscles were tense for the whole ride, because I couldn't help but worry about my life. I knew Mr. Rothstein is going to help me anywhere he can, but I didn't want to rely on him. Yes, he was incredibly generous with me, that is true. My stomach dropped when I thought about messing something up at this job. If I lose his trust, I'm truly screwed.