Murdering Melissa

"Why you always kickin' up the sand

Always kickin' up the sand?

God, man, you're angry, and it makes my eyes hurt.                                                                                         Why you always kickin' up the sand

Kickin' up the sand?

You block your sister

So the sunbeams miss her," I sing as my knife carves into her ears, deafening them. She screeches and pleads words she cannot hear, making her hysterical. The sharp utensil waltzes across her thighs and slits apart her body fat and I dig my ugly fingers into the open flesh and scoop out the fat. Now Stacy is as skinny as I am.

~

            "Join us, Melissa!" one of them hollers from across the lunchroom of the orphanage, beckoning me. As she yells, the skin at the edge of her eyes crinkles. I walk past the maple wood walls with crayon drawings of orange and purple smiles and sit between two of them.

            "Want to trade anything for my goldfish?" the one across from me asks, her blue eyes wandering over my empty hands.

            "I don't have any lunch," I say.

            "Is that why you're so thin? Oh, Meli, the caterpillars will feed off your dead skin tonight!" the one next to me, Stacy, snatches my arm and picks at my skin with her long, painted nails, imitating a caterpillar.

            "You've got more flesh on your ears than your body, Meli!" And she grabs those too.