Back To Square One | 12

5 years ago

Aria Russo

"Aria! I asked you to look after your brother and you couldn't even do that for an hour without causing a big fuss?" My mother was screaming from the top of her lungs as her body towered over my brother who was laying on the concrete with bruises and scrapes on his knees. She carefully tended to him while I pulled myself together.

My brother and I had decided to ride his new bike that he had gotten for his 10th birthday. Even though I was against it at first and wanted to wait until our parents arrived home from their outing. He persisted with a plea that I could not deny while looking at his big brown eyes staring at me with so much excitement. Before I knew it our laughs were filling up the crisp air outside as we rode his bicycle around the cul-de-sac in circles.

I had both feet planted on back rims where two metal bars stuck out as he pedaled his life away. Next thing I knew we hit a curb that sent us both tumbling down on the rough concrete of the street and the timing couldn't be any worse because it all happened as my parents were pulling into our neighborhood street. Which happened to lead them to see the unsightly scene unfold before their eyes.

His cries erupted shortly after as I sat up and hunched over in pain. Tears welled up in my eyes at the sight of my baby brother in hysterics, so I went to go over to comfort him when I felt a tug on my shoulder. I winced in pain and looked up to see my angry father returning my gaze with disappoint swirling in his eyes.

"Don't. You have done enough." He walked over to assist my mother who was still yelling about how things were my fault. But it's not like I wasn't used to this. I've had my fair share of realizing the difference in how my parents treat me versus my brother. It's been a never-ending cycle from what I can remember ever since I was six years old, but it's not his fault he became the golden child while I was left to fend for myself and become hyper-independent at a young age. It happens to a lot of children all over the world, but it doesn't make it right.

I stood up and dusted off any debris from my clothes and walked back towards the house in silence. I could hear my mother questioning where I was going along with another line of spewed hatred dripping from her tone towards me. I ignored her and the pain that I was feeling physically and emotionally.

I trudged on and made it into the house and grabbed a few items out of the medicine cabinet before entering my room. I fell back onto my bed and let out a heavy sigh which was soon accompanied by sobs. I vowed to leave this place as soon as I turned eighteen and graduate. I wouldn't spend another second in a house that wasn't a home and quite frankly, never would be. I wiped my tearstained face that was swollen with anguish this is my breaking point, this is where would learn I could not count on anyone in this world, not even my own family.

Present Time

My body was as close to the passenger door as possible, a position I have become accustomed to while riding in the car with Angelo. The silence on our way back up was deafening neither one of us uttered a word after that kiss we shared. I didn't really have anything to say to him, I knew that this situation could only grow worse if I did not step away, but the more time we spend together the harder it is to let go of this so called 'fling.'

Pulling in he parked his car, and I wasted no time trying to unlock the door only to notice he had some sort of child lock on it. Seriously? Just when I thought this day couldn't get any worse or trigger me even more.

"We need to talk." his husky voice sounded through the small space we shared in the car.

"I don't have anything to say to you, other than I need you to take me home." My voice held no room for negotiation, but who would he be if he actually listened to me.