Chapter 1 [Stella]

"As I was leaving too soon, I was enchanted to meet you," I sang quietly during class.

The 20th of August. This was the Physics class, at least that's what I read when I entered this room, but this feels like a rocket science lecture here. I know it is not, I've been a bright student at my old school.

It isn't that I am not able to grasp the concepts but it's just that I can't find myself to focus on them. My head feels like a battlefield now, and I am battling from both sides. 

I am zoning in and out of reality. No, I'm not on drugs. But right now, I don't have one-track mind for this. Everyone and everything is new and I am overwhelmed.

I dismiss my train of thought and try to concentrate on what the teacher is saying. 

Physics has always been my favorite subject. It's conceptual and analytical. Most importantly it is understandable. It makes sense while chemistry never made any sense to me. This reacts with that in this way, nobody knows why, but it does.

So, the teacher is saying hubgnrcnmu distance, fntfmyu light, rdvyvbyvb particle, hbtfrysut wave. From the information I've so cleverly gathered, it's the Wave-particle duality.

Wouldn't I love to be a light particle? I would actually. It's such a beautiful thing and mostly because it is out of one's grasp, an ever-living, ever-existing, never-dying thing.

A photon is massless and has two personalities, sometimes it behaves like a wave and sometimes as a particle.

The school bell rings, and I dragged myself out of my mind. Nowadays, my mind is the worst place for me to be in and yet I find myself there most of the time.

I get my bag and make my way to the door trying to stay out of everybody's way. The hallways are too crowded. It's like a war zone out here too. And I feel like a soldier in heels. 

This much of a crowd in school is something I've never witnessed before. I guess all public schools are like this. I looked around and the diversity is immaculate. I feel it to be even more diversified than Amazon. 

Not in a racial way but everyone is up to something different. Everyone's kissing, hugging, punching, decorating, and building giant towers of Legos. Too much is happening on the first day of school.

I didn't want to get caught in this air quote "beginning-of-school celebration" so, I hurry to find my way out of the building. Why did I choose this huge maze of a school again? Oh, I remember, I didn't have much of a choice.

Not that I hate these people but, in my mind, they hate me. Okay, maybe not hate but something that sort. To be honest that was the most pessimistic point of view to look from. 

But I say that because I am getting the looks of a vulture from the male species present here and the looks of a vixen from the female species calculating their prey-hunting tactics. It is making me feel queasy and uncomfortable.

As I steer my way around people, dodging their stares like bullets and failing miserably, I think to myself maybe! Maybe wearing a yellow sundress and brown stockings wasn't an astute choice.

In my defense, I love the dress. It is sleeveless with length till midthigh. And I wanted to make an excellent first impression, but I think I made the wrong one. But as I see around, I'm being more and more confident in my outfit not being the reason for the stares I'm receiving.

I am feeling lost in this maze building, I took a blind left turn and ran into a tall, strong, hard wall. Wall? No! No way this happened in front of everyone. My body hit the wall and I reeled back and crashed into someone behind me.

How will I ever live this down? Just two years I tell myself, just two.

This embarrassing moment would not be so embarrassing moment. If only I had run into a person rather than an adamant wall and easily recognizable with the two eyes I happen to be in possession of.

I suddenly felt two hands on my elbows straightening me. They felt rough and big. I lifted my eyes upwards and saw a really good-looking, tall, brown, wide, and nice-smelling wall with a skater boy's graffiti on it. 

It is an alcove. Who the hell makes an alcove in school? Let's look on the bright side, I ran into a handsome skater boy, right? I said, "I'm sorry" to the skater boy who is a painting on the wall. Yeah, I've hit my head too hard.

Now that I was done apologizing to a wall, I turned around to apologize to the human who got Mufased by me. And Holy Grail of hell!

"Good morning, ma'am," I croaked. My principal teacher was staring down at me with her sharp eyes. What a great first impression I've made. The girl that can't see or walk straight. Nice.

"I'm so sorry," I said.

This woman was extremely intimidating with her small rectangular framed glasses, her hair in a neat bun, wearing an olive-green striped shirt dress, and brown sandals.

Why does she look mad? It's not my fault that the architecture of this school decided to make a huge door-sized hole in the wall and then soon end it in a wall.

"Be careful, child. Look where you're going," she clipped. Then she dropped her hands and left. Out of this whole war zone here, it had to be the principal, hadn't it?

I am now too distracted by the mishap to notice anyone around me. Someone bumped into me again. I whispered, "I'm sorry." I'm so done with this day.

Now I have to find things to put on blame for the tragic death of my gracefulness. I blame my platform wedge heels, open chestnut brown hair, and my big brown eyes.

My eyesight is good but how come I didn't see the wall then? I might complain to the ophthalmologist who said I am not in need of glasses.

I walk to the bus stop and after 5 mins of waiting, my bus arrives, and I board it. I close my eyes and start counting my breaths. When I reached home my thoughts were clearer and untangled.

I think, "First day of junior year of high school wasn't so bad."