Until Our Bones Crumble Like Cookies

Sometimes Law shivers, under the soft thin cotton sheet he flutters like a butterfly with injured wings. He doesn't murmur words, and tries harder to not make a noise— hence it was difficult in the early stages of the marriage to understand when Law needed a hug, a gentle pat on his arms and kiss on his forehead.

Even when facing nightmares, the man had pride, he would twitch and twist, but he refused to let his voice slip out easily. Being a heavy sleeper, Luffy would not have learned of this had he accidentally not touched the cold tired hands of the surgeon — one summer night — years back.

In his sleep, Luffy had sought the taller in his arms and stretched them for a cuddle— only for them to be grabbed by ice-cold, yet sweaty lean fingers.

Law had gripped his arms, pulled Luffy towards himself, and hid his face in Luffy's neck. The taller had curled up and coiled his legs with Luffy's. He was not crying, but there were whimpers so soft that one could mistake them for signs of heavy breathing. His whimpers were like gentle knocking of the wind on an old wooden window.

That night, Luffy had hugged him so hard that the next day when Law woke up— he found himself with creases on his cheek!

***

Tonight was no different, Law was having one of his nightmares— shut eyes had wrinkled up like two stale apricots and his high cheekbones had slapped itself to the pillow and the doctor had bitten his lips hard. Though the frequency of these unwanted dreams had reduced over the years, but when they returned, they left Luffy's husband messed up for the following few days.

Hence, without a delay, Luffy touched him. And pulled the taller one up from the bed and hugged him. The taller's head aimlessly fell on Luffy's shoulder with a thud, and a low suffering groan escaped from his bruised lips.

"Traffy—We are okay, we are here in our house."

But a scared and lost in nightmare Law was not consoled enough. He tried to fold himself like a paper-crane — making room for whatever monster that haunted him that night, he pulled his legs up and clutched Luffy's sleeves, and tried to tuck himself into Luffy's armpits.

Of all the things Luffy hated, Luffy hated Law's nightmares most! If the enemy was physically tangible, Luffy would've dragged them by the neck and broken their spine! But how does one fight nightmares? Something concealed within the layers of Law's subconsciousness that even the doctor couldn't remember when he woke up.

Their therapist had suggested words of affirmation, Luffy never got those words growing up, and Law didn't know what words comforted him. They had words for each other, and hoped comfort would follow after uttering them. Twenty years together— yet nightmares were the couple's biggest relationship hurdle!

"Babes, I am here." Luffy patted the back of Law's head and kissed his exposed neck. "I am here, all you have to do is wake up, I will still be here."

Law half responded to Luffy's words.

Lost in the corridors of nightmares where flowers morphed into faces of dead classmates and little Lami giggled, the young sister he lost to fire! The child ran wild only for Law to find her trapped in a wardrobe, on top which sat a tall man with limbs too unnatural, the man was called Doffy, who temporarily gave Law a home, only to take it away.

In no time, Law was again 13, alone, scared and sad— and wrapped in painful strings. His hands covered his ears to tune out the voice. And he began counting frogs, "1 frog–2 frogs–3 frogs—-" this is how he helped Lami when she had nightmares.

Doffy's spider like fingers manipulated his limbs like a puppeteer — unable to move or sit, he was a marionette to the man's whims. His screechy laughter bleeding into his mind and overpowering Lami's innocent giggles. But he continued counting frogs, "17 frog– 18 frogs– 19 frogs—-"