The Seashell's Fate

Childe was trying to retrieve the other pieces of the shell he can still salvage from the sand. "Hm, it could even be a starconch."

"Starconch?"

Childe nods slowly before taking your hand and pressing the fragments into your palm. When you take a look at them, you realize the pieces are the same color as his eyes.

"It was my favorite souvenir when I got assigned to Liyue once," he chuckles.

Starconches...they're his favorite souvenir.

"Do you..." you begin shyly, "want to make matching necklaces out of them?"

...

"Mama? Are you ok?"

Odie's voice managed to hauled you back to the shores of reality still subconsciously caressing on your pendant, the same broken starconch that you and Childe found beck in Watatsumi island fifteen years ago. Still containing bitter-sweet memories, you didn't quite understand why you were unable to throw it to the seas of Narukami when you got back from that painful trip.

"Oh I'm fine dear. I just... remembered something." You crack him a warm smile when you see him wearing a worried look, "You were talking about what happened in the forest, correct?"

Odie was silent, normally he would continue talking about his escapades when you asked that question. But this time, he took a deep breath and looked at you seriously, "Mama.. are you sure you're ok? You've been spacing out every now and then since we left the bay." He reaches out to hold your hand. "You can tell me anything, mama. I'm not a kid anymore."

You'd be lying if you say that didn't surprise you even for a bit. You've been treating your son like he's still a kid even though he's already fifteen, this little act of maturity he's showing made you feel proud. You sighed and couldn't help but let out a giggle as you reached out to ruffle his messy ginger hair, "Since when did you grow up to be a man?"

"Mama! I'm serious!" He pouted. Now that's the Odie you knew.

The night passed painfully slowly this time, you were doing your usual work on your desk with your laptop while Odie was just watching some tv. You paused and gazed at your son who was using his phone this time, probably chatting with his friends back in Inazuma. You can't help but wonder if it would be best for him to ignore what happened at the harbor or... to tell him the truth.

You shook your head and continued what you were doing, hoping it's enough to distract you from these unwanted thoughts while chugging on your 3rd bottle of energy drink. Then you realize your son might give you an earful after this... nah you'll just hide the other cans right after you're done.

Childe's breath materialized in front of him while standing in front of the hotel contemplating if he should get in or not, it was the same hotel you and your son was staying at, it was the nicest one in the area. He couldn't help it but to follow the two of you in the shadows after your fateful encounter.

"Ughhh... what am I doing.." he whispers to himself while raking his fingers through his orange hair.

He took out the pendant that he always wears, it was the other piece of the broken straconch that you two found. It was precious to him, the only memory he has from you. He felt his chest twist from several feelings all at once. Sorrow. Guilt. Regret.

Love.

Minding on what you could've been feeling right now and how Odie would feel, he decides on leaving the area for now. There will be a right time for everything anyway.

... Right?

Few hours have passed since you decided to distract yourself by focusing on your work. Which, you gotta admit, was pretty effective. But since you all finished everything... What now? You can't practically flop yourself to the bed right away since the effect of the energy drink is still there, your eyes are far from being heavy.