The TrutH Lies Within. . .

I dedicate this Short Story to my dear Christina 🤗🩷    @PrivateCitizen

The Truth Lies Within

Part 1

-Wei Ying's POV-

The day had dragged on forever. I just wanted to go home and sleep. Exhaustion took over my entire body. I don't know how I even managed to drive home. I still couldn't believe I lost the Wen Rohan case. Such a long trial for what, a guilty verdict. The DA had no case! Maybe I was just slipping. Maybe I needed time off. Yeah right, like that would ever happen. I guess there is always the possibility that kid Ayun was actually guilty. No... he was innocent. I know when they're innocent. I needed to get an appeal. But how could I?! I had so much stress and so many cases to work on. It seemed like there just weren't enough hours in a day anymore.

Lucky Lan Zhan ...won his case early afternoon and decided he owed it to himself to take the rest of the day off. Not in his character at all, but no one tried stopping him. Ah well what was I complaining for? Knowing Lan Zhan he'd probably been sitting home working on at least five other cases. That's Lan Wangji for you.

Home at last. I thought of my bed, and how nice it would be to get a full seven hours of sleep. Right. Keep dreaming. I had plenty of work still ahead of me. I walked up the stairs, and opened the door. What I saw next surprised me.

Wen Qing and Lan Zhan on the couch. They weren't doing much, but Lan Zhan did have his arms around her. My God. What the hell is this? My husband and my best friend, are you joking!?

"Ahem." I said, "Am I interrupting something here?"

Wangji just looked at me. He seemed tired which made no sense since he had most of the day to rest. I heard Wen Qing mumble something but I couldn't make it out. She had her back toward me, and Wangji still had his arm protectively around her. I decided it was best to just stand there dramatically until someone said something.

Awkward silence.

I've been surrounded by it one too many times, and I know it's never good. "Is...everything okay?" I asked, now a little concerned.

"He hit her." LAN Zhan's voice was soft but firm. I'd been getting that tone from him a lot. Wen Qing mumbled something again. A little louder this time but I still couldn't make it out. Unfortunately all I thought I heard was "he'll hate me". But that couldn't be right. Why would I hate her? What was going on here? She sounded upset, but I still hadn't absorbed what exactly was going on. "Excuse me?" I managed to mutter.

"Cheng. He hit her." he paused "hard."

My brain was fried, so it took a second to process what Lan Zhan just said. Suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks. My best friend's boyfriend abused her. "Oh my God! A..are you okay? What happened?!" a million questions ran through my mind as I ran to Wen Qing's side. She wouldn't look at me. What was she hiding? "Qing, it's okay, just tell me what happened." I didn't sound very sympathetic considering how worked up I was at this point. Slowly she turned toward me, but didn't say a word. She didn't have to. Her face was red, her eyes puffy from crying, but that's not what drew my attention. All around her left eye was black, and I could see traces of dried blood.

"He did this to you." My voice was monotone. Time seemed to be standing still. "That son of a bitch did this to you." my anger was growing.

"Wei..."I heard from Lan Zhan. I chose to ignore him. He had no place to be telling me how to act right now. He had no idea what I was feeling. It's not that I was angry with Qing, I just felt so much rage toward Cheng, and it was coming out all wrong.