Chapter 39 A World Stage

"Is this information trustworthy?"

"It's first hand, soldiers and survivors aren't willing to talk about it. The Church has stricken fear in their hearts and no one wants to be labeled a monster."

Shakespeare's eyes wavered as she wrinkled the report papers. It was all too incredible to believe. All too shocking to process. The church tended to lie to the people raise the tax and suppress all opposing voices. But enslaving entire villages and killing off many of their own soldiers was something unbelievable. Just when she felt as though the church wasn't so depraved, just as Otto Apocalypse rescinded the indulgences and denounced Verse for being the murderer of the Arch Bishop, Verse uncovered more filth. More corruption. It seemed hopeless, redemption would never come.

"There should be some accounts. More rumors. I can't believe that the church can silence them all."

"There was disease. Famine. The medicine sent was destroyed and the church has recalled all soldiers into bordering nations."

"I don't follow."

"It's simple with the influence of the Apocalypse family and their connection to the most powerful noble houses. On top of being able to threaten the survivors into silence, they're able to station them all in one place. Of course, the grounds selected are within the respective countries of the survivors but there's another issue. Those veterans are shoved near Honkai territories, they're fated to die."

"But this doesn't make sense. The manpower lost is too great. How would the countries function? Surely the kings will stand against this."

"King is just another title for a puppet. Beyond Koleston I'd say only Germany remains free of the Apocalypse control."

"Koleston? But Otto Apocalypse still resides here." Shakespeare said. Her eyes narrowed with suspicion. Verse was very vocal about his antagonism of the Holy Son. Shakespeare on the other hand had developed a liking for the public actions of Otto Apocalypse. It was all within reason and he seemed easy to influence.

"But the Kaslanas keep him in check."

"Cain Kaslana?" Shakespeare asked, a bit of disbelief slipping into her tone.

"He's better than the Apocalypse family, he's a Kaslana."

Shakespeare launched a piercing gaze at Verse. This was the only sentence he spoke with uncertainty. The rest were said with the authority of someone who lived through that situation. Perhaps he was one of the few high-ranking soldiers, exempt from the restrictions, that returned after experiencing the worst of the church. It would explain his ability to gather information pertaining to the church. Maybe these were his recounts. A noble fallen noble set off to war to reclaim his honor, only to find that there was no honor to reclaim. Maybe that's where he got those hands and those scars.

"You reveal a bit more of yourself every time you bring up a part of your plan."

"Don't you wish for the truth? Are you still suspicious?"

"Of course, I want the truth." Shakespeare scoffed. "I don't want to be played."

"So I'm no longer a dangerous individual?"

"I didn't say that old timer. It's just that I want to believe in you more. I release this information slowly but I don't think everyone will believe it. In fact, a story is only so convincing if the person who tells it."

"Tells it well."

Shakespeare shot him a nasty glare.

"What can I say, I'm a fan."

She turned away expression consumed with annoyance. Verse was insufferable at times. But he was a good person. He had a dream that she wanted to see come to fruition with her own eyes. It was grander than hers, a bloodless revolution. It made sense now, why he wished for such a world. After losing everyone, after witnessing the worst of humanity it would be most poetic if he cured the world by using such purity. The only piece that didn't fit was his hatred for Otto Apocalypse. There was no period of time Shakespeare could think of that would place the Holy Son before Verse. He was whisked away by that charming Valkyrie, the Holy Maid at the time, and back in Koleston before the frontline agenda. Come to think of it Verse only surfaced a few months after the Holy Son's return.