Chapter One

The sunlight beamed into the nursery, causing a bright ray of sunshine to land straight in Twilightkit's eye. She grumbled and turned her back to the den entrance, burying her head in her mother's hazelnut-colored fur. She and her littermates were CanopyClan cats- cats who live in the canopies of the trees.

For seasons they've lived there and no cat knows any other place they could call home. Most CanopyClan cats are small and nimble for navigating the tree tops. They typically have long whiskers and brown short-furred pelts to blend into the treetops.
"Twilightkit, you're squishing me!" Twilightkit's brother, Duskkit whined, squirming.

"Sorry Duskkit!" she quickly got to her paws and stepped accidentally on Dawnkit's tail.

"Ow- Twilightkit!" Dawnkit grumbled, glaring at Twilightkit.

"Sorry Dawnkit." Twilightkit backed up and made sure she wasn't going to step or bump into anybody else. She ducked her head as her mother, Honeydew, bent over and licked the top of her head.

"How about all of you get up and go explore the camp? Sunnyhorizon needs some quiet time. Especially because she's due anytime now. Most likely today. Plus you guys are old enough now to explore all the dens. How about you go ask Jaybounce to teach you how to climb properly, hm?"

"Okay!" Daykit mewed enthusiastically, bouncing out of the den. Twilightkit and her littermates scrambled after Daykit, excited to get out of the den.

Their father, Jaybounce, was usually out patrolling. He seemed to get annoyed easily but that didn't bother Twilightkit. He was probably just tired after all the patrols. At least that's what Honeydew says. The only few times they left the nursery was when Honeydew and a few of the other queens were watching them closely.

"Jaybounce!" Daykit squealed excitedly. Twilightkit quickly rubbed against him and looked up at him, eyes wide with excitement.

"Honeydew said that you're going to teach us how to climb!" Duskkit piped up, ears perked. He saw a leaf fall and quickly pounced on it before looking at Jaybounce for his response.

"Erm- I'm sorry kits. I have to go hunt for the clan so that every cat can eat." He lifted the paw Twilightkit rubbed against and quickly licked it before setting it down.

"I'm sure someone could take your place, Jaybounce." Honeydew said through narrowed eyes, sitting at the nursery entrance. Twilightkit tilted her head at her mother's tone. It wasn't hostile but she seemed upset with Jaybounce for some reason.

"Right. Yes, I'll go ask." He murmured, heading to the warrior den before padding out a few heartbeats later. He glanced at Honeydew before looking at the kits. "So, what am I doing again?"

Daykit's tail lifted excitedly, "You're going to teach us how to climb properly and safely!" she squeaked.

"Yeah!" Twilightkit piped in.

"Well, personally, I think you all are too young to learn how to climb and certainly too small. Even for the training branches." Jaybounce said, gaze flickering to Honeydew and his eyes narrowed slightly.

"I'm sure they'll be fine. Be a good father and teach them how to climb, like any other father would." Honeydew said, tail tip twitching in annoyance.

He sighed and reluctantly nodded. "Very well." he grumbled, walking over to the training branches with a small line of kits behind him.

Twilightkit was at the back of the line and frowned. She wasn't sure if her littermates noticed but she certainly did. Both her parents seemed upset at each other. Plus Jaybounce never seemed to want to be with her littermates and her. He always came up with an excuse. Did he not like them? She shook her head. Of course he loved them!