Chapter 34: April ~ May 🎀

"Boss, you have a meeting with the representatives of Hernandez Logistics at 1pm. It's about the new range of apartments we're developing." Gabe was briefing Nat on his schedule for the day. 

"Hernandez Logistics? Is that the new contractor we just signed a partnership with?" Nat vaguely remembered the name.

"Yep, it's a local company. A mid-size family business founded by Mr Daniel Hernandez and currently headed by his younger son, Mr Anthony Hernandez and his older son, Mr Marcus Hernandez." Gabe read from his iPad. 

"Did you just say Marcus Hernandez?" Nat reacted to the familiar name. 

"Yes...Do you know him, Boss?" Gabe was surprised. 

"Maybe or maybe not. Guess we'll see later..." Nat shrugged. In all honesty, Nat had prayed that he would never cross paths with Marco at work. 

"Boss, Mr Anthony and Mr Marcus have arrived." Gabe held open the door as the two entered the meeting room. Nat immediately recognised the older Hernandez, and so did Marco. 

"Nice to meet you, Mr Anthony. I'm Nathaniel Lee, the General Manager of Lee Holdings here in the Philippines." Nat extended a handshake to the older man. 

"Pleasure is mine too, Mr Lee. Anthony Hernandez, Acting CEO of Hernandez Logistics." Anthony shook Nat's hand respectfully. 

"Pleasure to meet you here, Mr Marcus." Nat managed a smile at Marco.

"What a pleasant surprise indeed, Nat. Marcus Hernandez, Chief Operating Officer of Hernandez Logistics." Marco gripped Nat's hand tightly and flipped it over, to assert dominance. 

  "Thank you for this partnership, Mr Hernandez. We could not be more than expectant to work with you and your company." Nat bowed slightly. 

"Oh, the pleasure is ours as well. It's been a little messy since our father fell ill but I think this partnership is going to set us back on track. I've always wanted to work with your company since it entered the local market." Anthony knew that the company's public image had taken a tumble since their father was bedridden. 

"Enough with the pleasantries, let's get down to business.  Anyways, why did they only send a mere GM? We were expecting at least a C-suite representative." Marco rolled his eyes. 

"Please excuse him, Mr Lee. He doesn't mean any harm." Anthony glared at his older brother before apologising. 

"No worries, Mr Hernandez." It wasn't the first time Marco had done so. 

"Thank you so much for your time, Mr Anthony. It was a great discussion. I think we'll produce something great." Nat was pleased with the meeting. Despite being younger, Anthony was a stark difference from Marco. Respectful, honest and humble. 

"Me too, Mr Lee. You're one capable GM. I've heard people sing your praises and I see why now." Anthony was impressed by Nat. 

"Thank you for the praise, Mr Anthony. You're too kind." Nat bowed. 

"Psh, how far can one go working for a salary? How much do you earn a month? 45k pesos?" Marco chuckled smugly. 

"Marco!" Anthony berated his older brother. 

"It's okay, Nat and I here are acquainted. Aren't we, Nat?" Marco raised an eyebrow.

"We sure are, Mr Marcus. Don't worry about it, Mr Anthony." Nat smiled at the older man. 

"Tell the uppers that we expect someone higher ranked in the next meeting." Marco crossed his arms.

"I'll be sure to convey your message, Mr Marcus. Mr Anthony, let me see you out?" Nat offered.