𝘖𝘕𝘌

"Thank you so much, Ava, for helping me with dinner," Ellen thanked me as I grabbed some seasonings. Mom and Dad are on a work retreat so my neighbor a.k.a my boyfriends Mom agreed to have me stay over a couple days. In a separate room of course. 

"No problem, you and Mr. Baker opened your house to me," I say to her. Max comes downstairs barely paying attention since she's focused on her phone. 

"Mom, when is dinner going to get ready," Max asked. "Also Marcus is getting stone down the street."

I snort. Ellen drops her knife while she was cutting the chicken. "Wha-- I- I told him to stop that. Ava could you finish the chicken up?"

"Of course," I said taking over her spot. I giggle under my breath. When he asked me out a couple months ago, I was a little nervous. He smokes and that was a deal breaker especially lung cancer that took my Grandma away a year ago. So he promised he wouldn't do it as often, and we are working our way up to him not smoking period

"I don't know what you see in him," my best friend, Max, says before sitting on a bar stool. I smile just thinking about him. 

"He's sweet, and even though he doesn't show it . .  smart. He's kind and he's a very good at--"

"Ew, ew," Max starts. "I don't want to hear anymore!" I swat at her with the knife still in my hand. 

"He's very good at painting. What did you think I was going to say," I ask putting the chicken in a bowl. I start seasoning the chicken and putting it in the pan to fry. I go outside to see if Ellen was done cussing Marcus out. I notice the people across the street grabbing boxes and moving in. 

"I wanna know what you were thinking smoking weed on the side of the road in clear view of everyone. Neighbors, the cops...," Ellen yells. I tried hard to hide my grin while Marcus looks at me and winks. "Seriously, I wanna know what was going through your brain!"

He opens and closes his mouth to figure out what to say. Please don't say anything dumb. He finally talks. "Well, it's legal now."

"Not for you, it isn't. You get inside that house. You are grounded," Ellen continues to yell. He stands still looking at the ground. "Acknowledge me, dammit!"

I'm used to seeing Ellen constantly aggravated. Max and Marcus are always up to no good and Ellen does her soft parenting anger yelling. Had it been me? My parents would be lighting my ass up

"All right, I'm grounded. When's dinner though? 'Cause I'm really hungry," Marcus stupidly says. Ellen's face starts going really red. She starts to scream and notices the neighbor across the street. "Oh shit," she mutters. I run inside and look to check on the chicken. 

Ellen goes inside and Marcus follows behind her. He winks at me again and this time I don't hide my smile. "Go upstairs, to your room!"

He goes upstairs. "Ok, well, I'm going to greet the new neighbors across the street. Want to come?"

I shake my head no, along with Max. "Here take some cookies I baked earlier," I told Ellen. She grabs the plate with saran wrap and leaves. 

I go upstairs and go into Marcus's room. "Hey, cutie," I joke. I jump on his bed and cuddle up with him. 

"Ava..," he starts. 

"I know and I forgive you. But . . you know how I feel about smoking and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't do it so often," I told him grabbing his hand. He snuggles his head above mine and kisses my forehead. 

"I'm sorry. I'll try," he tells me. About a year ago, Marcus's friend committed suicide and it really messed him up. He started smoking then and it just became a habit. "I love you."