Chapter 1

“Sierra! Hurry up!” Katie yells at her best friend as she ties up her Converse.

    “Coming! Coming!” Sierra replies as she bursts into the room, then runs out again having forgotten something in the bathroom.

They didn’t have to be on time but Katie didn’t want to show up too late for the party. Sierra had told Katie about the party a couple days ago while they made dinner. Sierra recently became friends with some guy named Niall and wanted to introduce Katie to him. It was his frat’s party that they would be attending and Katie was slightly nervous.

    “I’m almost ready!” Sierra says as she runs to her closet and changes her shirt for the fourth time.

    “Your last outfit was fine!” Katie chides Sierra whom was putting on a simple cream colored tanktop.

    “No it wasn’t. It didn’t show off my awesome bra.”

Katie rolls her eyes and checks her outfit in the mirror. A navy blue polka dot dress with Converse and her usual jewelry of rings and the necklace Sierra had bought her for Christmas. She muses her blonde hair and is joined by Sierra at the full length mirror. Standing next to each other, their differences were stark. Katie with her somewhat innocent looking dress next to Sierra in her shorts, tank top, exposed bandeau bra, leather jacket, and scuffed boots. They were also almost like the light and the dark with their features and coloring, the sun and the moon. The one thing they had in common was their height.

They smile at each other, noting their contrast and loving it.

    “We look damn sexy! Let’s go!” Sierra yells, pulling Katie away from the mirror.

    “Phone? Keys? ID?” Katie goes through the checklist.

    “Yes, yes, and yes,” Sierra pats all the areas those things were located.

----

Walking up to the frat house, you could hear the party much earlier than you could see it. The bass was pounding and the music loud as Sierra and Katie followed the other people who were just arriving as well. Katie looked around at the unfamiliar faces and felt a moment of dread. She wouldn’t know anyone at this party since it was at Sierra’s college.

    “I can’t wait for you to meet Niall,” Sierra grins as they walk.

The butterflies return, overtaking the dread that had once been in her body.

They reach the door and Katie’s reply is lost in the sounds of the party. She grabs Sierra’s hand as some frat guy answers the door and non-discreetly checks them out.

    “Heeeeyyy! Sexy Ladies!” the frat drunkinly yells before Sierra brushes past him into the house.

The smell of beer and alcohol flood their noses as they make their way through the house. Dancing and drunk bodies block their way but Sierra somehow leads Katie through the maze with no trouble. A couple guys kept checking them out and one even tried to cop a feel at Sierra before she slapped his hand away.

They reach the kitchen and grab some drinks before surveying the party. The DJ was across the room and the pool deck was outside with a couple topless girls in it.

    “Let’s see if we can find Niall,” Sierra yells to Katie over the music. Katie nods and reaches out to grab Sierra’s hand. They begin walking towards the DJ to get to the other room, when Sierra suddenly stops. Katie almost runs into her.

    “What?” Katie yells at Sierra but she doesn’t respond but instead stares across the room. Katie follows her line of sight and sees a dark haired boy talking to the DJ. The boy must have sensed their gazes because he turns to look at them.