Chapter eight

Devon

It's been three weeks since my mother was rundown outside the diner. I made it to the end of my first trimester and I couldn't be happier. My mother unfortunately is still in the hospital and Erica is working. Jennifer still doesn't have her memory and I've given up hope. Irene told me the other day that her CT scans haven't changed and the doctor says it looks to be permanent damage.

Graduation is a few weeks away and I couldn't be happier. Erica has been over every day to help me with my schoolwork and should be here after school for my appointment for the pregnancy. My stomach has grown enough that none of my clothes fit and I feel fat.

I was lounging on the couch, my stomach exposed and drawing random patterns with my fingers. I was bored and finished yesterday's schoolwork. I just started tracing my stomach a few minutes ago and felt fluttering in my stomach. The fluttering turned into light jabbing and it took me a minute to realize the baby was kicking.

I started getting emotional and checked the time. She should be having lunch and I call her as uncontrolled sobs escape my lips. She answers on the second ring and I knew my sobs echoed through the phone. "Can you come over, I need you," I say between broken sobs.

"I'll be right there, okay," she asks in a soothing whisper but I could tell she was worried. I never call her crying on the phone. "Deep breaths okay?"

I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. I hear knocking on her end of the phone. "I'm leaving early. I have Devon on the phone. She just called me hysterical and I could barely understand what she was saying," Erica says with worry in her tone and I hear muffled talking in the background. "Thank you Julie."

I was falling asleep waiting for Erica to show up. The kicking continued at my hand resting on my bump. The familiar smell of her perfume fills my nose and I let out a sleepy sigh. I hear her relieved breath and roll onto my back. My hand slips from its place on my stomach and I feel her hand where mine had just been.

"Are you why mommy called me hysterical," Erica asks quietly, gently rubbing circles over my stomach.

I let out a relaxed sigh and feel her kiss my belly. The baby kicks her hand and I feel her smile against my stomach. "Hi princess, it's good to know you're okay in there," Erica whispers against my skin. Her thumb sweeps over the spot the baby was kicking. "Your mommy had me worried something was wrong."

I feel her lay on the outside of the couch with her cheek resting against my exposed belly. Her hand stays in place and she continues sweeping her thumb. I feel as a tiny foot presses against her hand and stays there. "I'm still here princess," Erica whispers soothingly as she strokes her finger over the baby's foot. "I'll always be here for you and mommy."

Her phone rings and she quickly answers it, carefully climbing of the couch. As if missing her presence, the baby starts kicking where her hand had been. Tears fill my eyes and smile. I get up and go look for her. I find her in the kitchen, ending her call with her back to me. She's surprised to see me when she turns around but quickly becomes concerned when tears roll down my cheeks.

Before she could say anything, I place her hand over the repeative kicking. After a few moments the kicking subsides to a minimum. "I was almost asleep when you left to answer your phone. Seems she wasn't ready for you to take your hand away," I say with a light smile.

"Feeling her move after all the stress you've been through made you emotional, didn't it," she asks with understanding and I nod vigorously. She takes me in her arms and says in a soothing whisper, "She's okay Devon and this is her way of telling you that."

"I'm not sure what we are, but I'm glad you're here," I choke quietly as I constrict my arms around her waist. "We both are."

"We don't have to be anything you don't want us to be, but it changes nothing. Whatever you decide, I'll still be here, for both of you," she says in a soothing whisper and I let out a calming breath.