1

It's been 100 days since the fire.

It's been 90 days since my mom sent me to rehab.

It's been 10 days since I got back from rehab.

The day I got released from the rehab center, I called my mom, but she didn't answer. I called Logan, but he didn't answer.

That's when I panicked. I was miles away from home. I didn't have any money, as I spent all the money I had saved on a shitty Walmart phone. My mom took all of my things, including my phone, when she sent me away, so I had to buy this shitty burner phone from Walmart with the little money I had saved. So, I was fucked if no one came to help.

I almost cried when I heard the burner phone ring.

I immediately answered the phone.

"Hello?",  I felt a sense of relief when I heard the voice.

"Hey, Logan".

"Holy shit Kat, I'm coming."

We had moved to Watson Port when I was in the 3rd grade. It was at the beginning of the second semester, so everyone already knew each other.

It was recess, and I had no one to play with, so I just sat on the field, picking the little yellow flowers. The grass made me itchy, but I didn't care as I was so focused on the flowers. I didn't realize there was someone behind me until I heard a quiet noise that almost sounded like a whisper.

"H-hi, do you mind if I join you?"

I turn around to catch a glimpse of who is talking to me and realize it's a boy from my class.

The boy is a little shorter than me and has curly brown hair. He has on a green sweater that has a blue hedgehog on it, which makes me curious.

"What's on your sweater?" The boy looks shocked that even I asked that.

"You don't know who Sonic the Hedgehog is?" he asked with his eyes wide open. The boy looks so surprised that I can't help but giggle.

"I'll tell you all about him!" He sounds so happy that I can't help but just listen.

That's how our little friendship started.

Every day at recess, we would sit on the field and talk. The boy would tell me about the video games he played, and I would tell him about different flowers I liked. It didn't even occur to me that I didn't know his name until he said something.

"What's your name?"

"Mary"

"You don't look like a Mary." I can't help but laugh at his comment.

"I like Kat better; the only person who calls I Mary is my mom." The boy smiles at that.

"Ok, Kat, my name is Logan," he says as he brings his hand out. I didn't realize what he wanted until he waved his hand. That's when I recognize he wants a handshake and take my hand into his.

That's when I knew we were going to be best friends.