Chapter 1:

At just 18, I knew I needed to leave. I just graduated high school, top of my class, and I was desperately in need of a change. My surroundings had become stagnant, my routine the same, as well as my friends and family. This is not in a negative way, it just demonstrates growing up.

I grew up in the outdoors, constantly surrounded with all of what nature had to offer. I grew up moving cattle with my family on our cattle ranch and hiking for countless miles with my friends outside of cell range, having the deepest conversations that truly can't be replicated anywhere else. So when I knew I needed to change, I knew this job would have to be working where I love to be.

The dream started during my sophomore year, when I began religiously researching guest ranches who hire seasonal workers. I created lists upon lists, yet none of them would hire someone who was a minor, which was understandable. I persisted, calling and emailing ranch after ranch until I finally found the ranch of my dreams. They hired me after an exchange of some emails.

Moonshine Ranch outside of Craig, CO, was going to be perfect for me. Three months full of horses, sunshine, new people and the Flat Top wilderness area was the perfect recipe for a great summer.