Prologue

Ashley woke with a panicked jolt on the floor of a dark room.

A lift.

It was moving haltingly upwards, like it might suddenly jar and fall into the darkness below.

Where was she?

Gasping for breath, she leapt upwards. Crates piled around her in the crackly fluorescent lighting and she scrabbled at them, clawing with desperate hands. One of the lids fell off and hit the floor with a clang. She groped inside the crate with rising horror and felt fabric, maybe hemp or burlap, and thick, spiky rope. Tossing the mass of fibrous material into the ground, Ashely tucked herself inside the crate and pulled the lid on top of her. Shaking, she peered out of the crack in the top.

Suddenly, red light washed over the lift, like the box had been bathed in blood. Crates and crates of what seemed to be supplies lay piled in stacks on the floor, each stamped with the same word. WICKED. A clanging alarm began to sound and Ashley squeezed her eyes shut, heaving great, gasping breaths and listening to the staccato thumping of her own heartbeat in her ears. This was it. It was all over. She was going to die alone in a metal cage, squashed against the top of an elevator shaft.

And then everything stopped. The lights. The clanging alarm. Ashley curled in the darkness, holding her breath, listening to her own heartbeat. Sweat ran down her face. No. Tears. And then it all exploded.

Light.

Noise.

Pain.

A silhouette. Reaching out a hand.

And a voice.

"Rise and shine, Greenie."

"Welcome to the Glade."

= End of Prologue =

- Elly

= Author's Note =
Hello its Angie here!! See the cover? Elly drew that. HOW COOL IS THAT?? :D

1 Vote and Imma post the next chapter! :)