Your Art

Today was the day I will find a job, I just had to find one where I don't have to speak. It will be a bit hard to find one since so many jobs require you to speak with cookies. I was a bit confident in trying to find one though, there are some jobs that require you to not talk after all.

Then I saw someone. I turned around and started to walk away. I didn't see them, they didn't see me.

"Mango?"

Shit-

"You're more quiet than usual." Strawberry Crepe said.

I reluctantly turned around and looked at them. At least I didn't have to look up to them, they were shorter than me by a few inches.

In response to what they said, I just nodded.

"Why aren't you talking?" They asked.

I just stayed silent, a force as strong as duct tape was covering my mouth so I couldn't speak.

"Is this the result of what I told you?" They asked.

I just slowly nodded.

They bursted out laughing, "Ha! Cookies like you are so pathetic! You follow orders too easily!"

I just stood there, hurt by them laughing at me.

"But your silence is more enjoyable. Everyone must be so happy to hear you finally shut up!" They laughed.

Then they walked away, snickering to themself.

I could feel my eyes getting watery. I was right, they wouldn't like me if I stopped talking. But I want a friend, what more do I have to do to get one?

"Pst, over here." Someone said.

I looked around to see a cookie signaling me to come to them, so I did.

"I saw what that cookie said to you, they're a real jerk." She said, "Strawberry Crepe has to be one of the worst cookies I've seen.

I nodded in agreement.

"Also, I'm gonna guess the reason why you aren't speaking is because of them." She said.

I nodded, with a frown on my face.

"Well whatever the reason is, they just hate your art." She said.

I just looked at her, confused. What did she mean?

"What I mean by that is, your voice, your voice is your art and they didn't like it." She explained, as if she could hear my thoughts, "Everyone has their own art, mine is graffiti. Not everyone gets my art, some hate it, but I don't let that get a hold of me. My art is meant for me, I don't care if someone hates it but I will be thankful if someone likes it. Your voice was probably your art, Strawberry Crepe hated it and you let it get a hold of you. But you should learn that you don't have to stop doing something because someone else tells you to, you are in control of your own art and you can make your own choices on it."

My art, my voice is my art? I do like to talk and tell stories with my voice...

"Anyway, my name's Mustard." She said, "I hear yours is Mango, right?"

I nodded, with a smile on my face this time.

"Well, I have to go because my Grams probably needs me right now. But we should hang out later, you seem cool." Mustard said, before starting to walk off, "See ya later."

I waved goodbye as she left.

My voice is my art. My art...