Music (and my family)

So maybe you know or maybe you don't but I am obsessed with emo,rock and alternative music.

My family supports me a lot but when it comes to music I feel like they disapprove.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Intro by @JasIsObsessed
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

See the first rock related band I ever got into was Green Day. I think I was still young enough that I would listen to it while playing Lego games on the X-box. My dad seemed slightly okay with it. Back when he was a teen he had listened to FFDP (Five Finger Death Punch) so I can see where he wouldn't be too concerned.

My Mom still likes to pretend that I don't listen to heavy stuff. When the topic comes up she usually threatens to go through my playlists and such but most threats with her shoould be taken with a grain of salt. All respect to my parents but when they were my age they probably didn't even still have their virginity so who's to tell me that listening to music is the worse route? It's not like I listen to Slipknot either (all respect to those who do). If the music gets to intensely violent you probably won't find me listening to it and that's just personal preference.

Yet when I'm jamming in the car with mom she never says anything about the overly negative slurs about sex and drugs! The top 40 is most of the time worse than any rock song in comparison.

The thing is all music is expression and in my case listening to music helps me deal with the hurtful emotions that I probably shouldn't display. I say whether you listen to Drake or to My Chemical Romance your family should respect you and be okay with it.

My Grandma is even worse with this. She sees the posters in my room like propaganda and believes that it's all too dark and drepressing,yet she thinks I'm one of the happiest people around.

This again proves the point that music can turn your emotions around and help you deal. I have a friend who deals with severe depression and I turned her onto Twenty-One Piliots,now I think she displays much more inner happiness than before all because she can listen to the music and feel her thought being thought by some else as well.

An article I read said that boys (they listed boys not girls but it probably goes for both) who went to thrash clubs and moshed grew up to have more anger management skills that those who did not engage in cathartic violence. The author also said that those who where hurt in a mosh would most likely get picked up by twice as many people as thrown down by.

So next time your family wants to judge you based on musical taste know that they might not approve but eventually they might find you are better off after.