30 (Part 2)

It’s been eight weeks since he woke up.

Well, that’s what everyone around Adrien has been saying.

A lot of things are still hazy in his mind, yet he has been making sense of more parts of his life already.

Slowly he was able to associate different things he could smell, feel, hear, and even taste to his past memories which helped him make more sense of who he was before…whatever happened to him.

All his nurses would always answer him the same way whenever he asked what made him this way.

"You survived a vehicular accident and because of your wounds and the pain you were in, it was best that you were placed in a medically-induced coma.”

At first, he thought the words were jargon. But when they continued to say it throughout the weeks and when he began recollecting more of his memories and knowledge acquired in the past years and months, it all made sense.

He has been going through physical rehabilitation – he had to learn how to walk and even hold on to something because his arms and legs felt like jelly. No strength or support whatsoever. There were even sessions in learning how to write. The feeling of holding a pen or pencil felt so foreign to him. He couldn’t even remember the strokes he had to make to write down certain letters.

Speech therapy helped him with how to say words. It seemed like his jaw couldn’t move at all and he could only create sounds from the base of his throat. Finally, after practicing and even massaging the muscles of his jaw and throat, he was able to say words distinctly even if they came out as raspy whispers. This still does not take away the fact that he runs out of breath fast.

Aside from that, eating therapy helped him learn how to chew and swallow again. Two weeks ago, they finally removed his NGT and it felt so liberating to have that tube out of his mouth which also went through his throat. He still is on a soft diet most of the time, but when he has solid food, it has to be cut into tiny pieces so that it would be easy for him to chew and swallow.

Eating has become his favorite thing to do ever since he was able to chew slowly and swallow carefully again. And he would always look forward to eating a chocolate croissant given by Doctor DC.

Doctor DC helped out a lot in helping him regain his memories.

It started when the aroma of the chocolate croissant she brought one morning made him stop. He couldn’t pinpoint how familiar the smell was to him.

He weirdly felt nostalgic and had déjà vu all of a sudden. He couldn’t remember exactly what but he knew, deep down, that the chocolate croissant was important to him.

And because of that, he suddenly felt this rush of determination to become better. To at least make more sense of his life and who he is, and to find answers to all these questions that have been running through his mind from the moment he opened his eyes in a hospital room.

He was thankful that Doctor DC was also very helpful to him even if he couldn’t recognize her in the first few weeks of being awake.

It helped that she brought different stuff to stimulate his senses.

The chocolate croissant helped him remember what he used to do as a new nurse (yes, he was surprised to recall that he was actually a nurse). He always made sure to wait in line at the bakery to grab two pieces of chocolate croissants for himself and Doctor DC, the person he has a huge crush on.

She brought food specially cooked by Ping one night for dinner and Adrien could exactly tell from the strong aroma of something tangy and spicy that it was Ping’s famous noodles. A wave of memories comes rushing through – from their dates at Ping’s restaurant to eating hot congee brought by the doctor when he was sick. And he also felt the feeling of jealousy when Doctor Couffaine suddenly joined them during a date because Doctor DC invited him to.