Chapter V: Why Does It Always Have To Be Stormtroopers?

Migraine - twenty one pilots

"So, what's your name?" Nylah asked, her leg thrown over the arm of the chair, popping crackers into her mouth.

He ignored her and continued looking toward the emptiness that was space. Nylah huffed. This is going to be a long ride, she thought.

Nylah sighed, "I can't keep calling you Mando. It feels disrespectful."

Mando once again didn't reply.

Nylah removed her leg from the arm and sat up straight, "Surely you have a name. Someone calls for Mando and everyone's' heads turn. How were your parents supposed to call for you?"

"My parents died in the Clone Wars." Mando's monotone voice cut through the thick air of the cockpit.

Nylah slouched in her chair, regretting saying anything, "Oh, sorry about that." Her fingered tapped against the armrest of the chair

"If it makes you feel better, I didn't know my parents."

"Why would that make me feel better?"

"I don't know."

This is awkward, she thought. She was at least trying. Trying to have a normal conversation with Mando. Small talk, if you will, but he wasn't having it. Maybe I'm annoying him, she thought. He wasn't talking because he didn't want to. But she was dying of boredom and needed some kind of entertainment.

"I guess I'll just call you Mandy."

"Don't."

"Too late."

Mando turned his chair to face her and put his hands on his legs. Nylah's eyes widened in fear. Great job, Nylah, she told herself. You've done it this time. He's going to kill you, or capture you and turn you in for the bounty.

"Where do you want to be dropped off?"

"I don't know. Maybe on your next bounty?"

He didn't reply. Nylah took that as an opportunity to continue.

"Or maybe you could just take me with you? Create a partnership?"

"I work alone," He turned back toward the front and away from her.

"So do I." Nylah stood. "We are kind of a good team, you and I. I helped with the Mudhorn. I helped get your ship back together. Space does kind of get lonely too." She leaned down, leveled her eyes with his visor. His head slowly turned to face her. She frowned. Nylah had hoped if she had gotten close enough to him, she'd be able to see his eyes through his visor. Even though they were only five inches apart, she still couldn't see them; his eyes.

Nylah sucked in a deep breath of air and with the air that entered her lungs came a sweet smell that filled her nose. Hints of gun oil, like a newly cleaned blaster and - Nylah took another breath - metallic, like when you bite your lip and it bleeds. The taste of blood.

Nylah shook her head, and blinked. Why was she sniffing at Mando, and thinking about the taste of blood? Stupid beskar, she thought. Being near Mando was making her think inappropriate things and she needed to stop.

"How do you know I'm not just going to turn you in for the few credits you're worth?" Mando asked. If he noticed her weird behavior, he didn't acknowledge it, which Nylah thanked the Maker for.

"Only a few? Damn," Nylah sighed. She stood up straight, pulling herself away from him. She returned to her seat, sitting more slumped and disappointed. She looked up to see Mando turned around, looking back at her.

"What?" She asked him.

"How humble of you."

"Oh, come on, Mando. You know I take out the worst of the worst. You mess up once and you're kicked to the dirt. Fuck," She pitched the bridge of her nose. "Of course, you don't get it. You're an amazing bounty hunter, Karga loves you, and you're not discriminated against for being a woman in the career path of men."