Too Late!

"Come on, (y/n)! You're gonna miss the bus again!"

My eyes shoot open. School! I throw my covers off and run downstairs, barely covering myself with today's outfit.

"Goodbye mom!" I give my mother a quick kiss on the cheek as I throw my schoolbag over my shoulder.

My eyes scan over the plethora of options my mother had so graciously prepared for me for breakfast. My eyes fall on a singular piece of toast at the edge of the table. Quick and easy.

My mother noticed my gaze and scoffed. "You need a hearty breakfast, sweetie. It's good for your health!"

"Sorry mom," I grab the single piece of perfectly cooked toast. "If I don't go now, I'm going to miss the bus! And I can't be late for school again."

I slip on my shoes and run out the door.

I ran to the bus stop as fast as I could, seeing the bright yellow bus in the distance.

See, the worst part about waking up late and having lace-tied sneakers is that sometimes you can forget to tie them up.

SPLAT!

"Ow..."

I find myself face down on the concrete, and look around to see what I tripped on. I manage to sit up and brush my newly dirtied outfit off. My eyes stop on my untied shoes, whose laces have now tied themselves to the other shoe.

I groan in protest and begin rapidly trying to untie my shoes as I feel the eyes of my fellow neighbours. Suddenly, I hear an engine start and a whoosh of air. I stop for a second and look at the place my bus is supposed to be, seeing it not there. I blink and turn around and I watch the banana-coloured bus slowly round a corner.

I missed the bus again.