Part 10

The scandal spread like wildfire. Lola could've killed it by talking to the tabloids– she had some influence, after all– but refused. She still hadn't forgiven Fang for not taking that role he was offered, and this was her revenge, in a way. For the first few days, Fang was too terrified to appear in public. He called his boss to explain that he couldn't go to work and stayed at Janet's house. She and Buster tried to comfort him and cheer him up. They gave him a present they had put together– a music video about Fang. Janet had been in charge of the music, and Buster handled the choreography. Stu had let them use his set to film.

"Aw, thanks, guys," Fang said, suppressing tears of joy after they presented it. "You're the best friends I could ask for."

He was still traumatized and hurting, they could tell. Still, he feigned bravery and unconcern. After almost a week, he announced that he would return to work.

He braced himself. Buster had told him that the paparazzi had been camping outside the cinema since the article was published but dispersed when Fang didn't show up to work for multiple days in a row. Fang knew they would be back and swarm him as soon as they heard he was back.

An hour passed. No paparazzi came. Some customers whispered and pointed at him. Some even directly asked about the rumors, but nothing extreme happened. Fang was bewildered. It was as if the whole affair was no big deal, that it was a mere rumor no one paid attention to. What was going on? His questions were answered an hour and a half after his shift started.

Fang was sitting behind the snack counter texting Janet. The movie had started fifteen minutes ago, so there were no customers for him to deal with. He was completely absorbed reading a message that he didn't hear anyone approach the counter.

"Hello."

Fang sprang up, not processing the familiar voice. He shoved his phone into his pocket and was about to ask what the newcomer wanted when he finally realized who it was– the last person he wanted to see. Was she here to boast her triumph?

"Lola," he said icily. "What are you doing here?"

Lola never came to the cinema except for premieres. Was she here to visit him? It appeared so. She wore a long coat over her outfit. A hat covered her green hair, and she had on sunglasses. She took off her sunglasses, and Fang could tell that she had been crying. Her eyes were puffy, and her makeup looked rushed.

She seemed like she didn't know exactly why she was there, that some force had brought her there. Here she was now.

"I talked to the press," she started. "I told them all the rumors were false, that the picture was an old one from when we were practicing for a movie long ago. An article about it came out yesterday. Starr Life is going to lose some subscribers, but who cares?" She forced a weak laugh.

Fang was silent.

Lola, not expecting the silence, added, "Besides, I have more important things to worry about. Did you hear– a new actor just signed a contract with Starr Studios! He's trying to take over my spot in the limelight, I know it! Well, he doesn't know who he's dealing with! I'm going to steal his show before he can even think of doing the same to me!"

Classic Lola, thinking everything was about her. Of course she would resort to sabotage the competition instead of working to improve herself. Also, why was so much happening in Starr Park? First, it was announced that some kind of Candyland place was opening, and now a new actor just signed a contract with Starr Studios?

"Who knows?" Fang heard himself say. "Maybe you'll like this guy and become friends with him."

"Oh, I doubt it. From what I've heard, he's not exactly the talkative type anyway."

A long silence followed. Lola started to turn around, ready to leave.

"Wait!" Fang yelled. It came out harsher than he had intended. "Is that all you have to say?"

Lola seemed taken aback. "Aren't you going to thank me? I just saved your reputation."
Fang crossed his arms. "Well, you got me into this mess in the first place and refused to get me out earlier. Why the change of heart?"

Lola tried to come up with an answer but couldn't. She tried for at least half a minute to come up with a response. Finally, she abandoned her pride.

"All right, fine! I've missed you, and I feel bad about what happened! Is that what you wanted to hear? I liked your company, and now it's gone. I know how amazing I am and how good I look, but it's not the same without hearing someone else tell me! I thought I was the only person I needed, but I realized: the love I feel for myself is so great that it needs to be shared! It's unfair to keep this great feeling all to myself!"

Fang couldn't help but feel pity. This was as close to apologizing as Lola could ever get. It must've taken her a lot of effort to set aside her pride and talk to the press then work up the courage to come to Fang. How pathetic she seemed right now. In that instant, he wanted to forgive her. He wanted to hug her and thank her and say that all was fine. He wanted to follow her back to her car and drive off with her the way they always did.

Fang thought about what Amber had said– it was up to him to decide if he could overlook all the bad stuff and preserve his friendship.

Was this friendship worth saving? Sure, when they had first met, Fang had worshiped her. She seemed so glamorous and larger than life. Now, he could see that she was unmistakably human. They had shared so many happy moments together, but their chemistry was no longer as strong. It had started to dwindle long ago, but Fang had failed to notice. Ever since he had gotten with Janet and befriended Buster, things weren't the same. Lola didn't make him feel a fraction of the bliss he felt whenever Janet kissed him or when he worked on a film with Buster. He knew deep down that his friendship with Lola was never that deep, but he wouldn't accept it. Buster and Janet both knew they weren't right for each other, but Fang had brushed it off. Now, he was facing a decision.

He took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Lola, but I don't think we should be friends anymore. We kind of lost our touch long ago, and I should've noticed. Honestly, this is long overdue. If we were to remain friends, it would be out of obligation instead of because it's worth it. The result is that we'll both be miserable. Look, I appreciate what you did for me just now, but I don't want any more drama. You're really cool and deserve better. Let's end this on a good note, okay?"

Fang wasn't exactly sure what kind of response to expect. Lola was the dramatic kind– maybe she would break down in tears or start screaming at the top of her lungs. Instead, she nodded and smiled in a way Fang had never seen. It was weak, small, and accepting.

"All right," she said softly. "Goodbye, Fang."

And that was it.