IV.

CW: SELF-HARM
IT WILL BE MARKED WITH AN ASTERISK

•••

She had been sleeping peacefully somewhere near the Eclipse Dynasty ruins when a dark presence woke her. She had shifted into a fighting form instantly, a dagger gripped tightly in her fist. The girl frowned when the energy disappeared before yelping in surprise when a blade was shoved into her forearm.

She hissed in pain and jabbed at the assaulter, forcing cryo energy into the blade. Blood flew through the air from slashing open the assaulter's thigh and she flicked her tongue out to taste it. With a hum of disapproval, [Y/N] slid beneath her attacker and sliced at its heels. It toppled over, cries of pain escaping from it.

The girl sat on its chest, digging her dagger into its throat. The warm spray of blood splashed her face and she scrunched her nose slightly in distaste. Upon making sure it was dead, she examined the body, trying to figure out what it was.

With a sigh, she kicked it before crouching down to absorb the abyssal energy. She frowned, pulling away after. Quickly leaving the bloody mess, she took in her surroundings and made way towards the large palace. With some luck, she would hopefully find Dainsleif.

•••

Dainsleif was wandering the palace ruins in search of an abyss herald he was chasing. Of course, he heard the cries of pain and headed where they came from. Despite being prepared for pretty much anything, he was not expecting to run into his (extremely distant) niece. Especially when said niece was covered head to toe in arterial spray.

"I-" was all he managed to get out before the girl promptly tripped and fell face first into his chest. He caught her with practiced ease and helped her steady herself before glancing around their surroundings. He could smell the abyss herald. It was definitely close.

"[Y/N], why are you...covered in blood?" he asked, frowning slightly.

"Huh? Oh, hey Uncle Dain! Uhh, I was attacked by a light eater when I was sleeping. Nothin' to worry about!" The girl shot him a grin, ignoring the fact that she still had a blade imbedded into her forearm. The man sighed and gingerly grabbed her wrist, bringing her arm towards him.

"I haven't seen you for nearly two and a half years, and the first thing I see is that you have managed to become stabbed." She gave a giggle in response, diverting her gaze to the ground. "You need to be more careful."

"Yeah, yeah. I will be. But, hey!" She yanked her arm from his grasp, gesturing to the purple-tinted vein-like scars on her face. "Lookie, lookie! I'm like you now."

"Princess, that is not a good thing. When did this happen? And be still—I need to wrap the wound."

"It was after you took Ajax back up. I was being hunted by a pack of rifthounds. The big one got me this big scar you see as well as the taint. And then the whelps gave me a bunch of bite marks and stuff. Personally, I think I look badass." She continued to make wild gestures, ignoring Dainsleif's look of annoyance.

"[Y/N] Alberich. Cease your movement immediately or I will be forced to hold you still." She pouted but did as asked, holding her arm out. He quickly wrapped it before taking in their surroundings once more.

"An abyss herald is lurking around. I can smell it. Please do be more careful. Considering Prince Kaeya is still in Mondstadt, you are the heiress. It is important to stay safe."

"Abyss...herald?" The girl blinked at him, tensing slightly as she glanced behind her. "Oh. Um. That's...something else I should tell you, haha."

""Something else"? Do you mean to tell me you have befriended an abyss herald? Idiot child, the creatures of the abyss are not friendly."