The Scoop

Mandy finds something lurking in the files of her favorite horror game and opens herself up to a haunting.

Mandy Mason shifted in her school desk chair as she tugged on a strand of her hair that had loosened from her two, sci-fi-styled buns. She was in the midst of writing a serious fan-fiction scene for the animatronic game series Five Nights at Freddy's. She paused her pencil on her notebook, flicking her eyes toward Mr. Peterson as he got up from his desk to speak to a student. Yeah, she was supposed to be doing homework like the other students during study period, but this scene was literally flashing in front of her eyes, begging to be written.

Her phone vibrated with a message, so she covertly slipped it from her skirt pocket and tucked the phone below the desktop to read the screen.

[TotalMisfit] OMG Did u read FreakStory's latest fic?

[Msquared] SO GOOD

[TotalMisfit] urs is BETTER

[Msquared] Thx ... gotta go!

"Mandy, what are you working on?" Mr. Peterson leaned over her.

Mandy dropped her phone in her lap and crossed her chunky black boots. "Um, English, sir."

"Let's have a look." He grabbed her notebook before she could stop him. "Hmm. The animatronic looked dead, but in all reality, the bear watched and waited for the perfect opportunity to grab the little boy from across the room. "

Mandy smiled in discomfort as the other students in the room laughed.

She cleared her throat as her cheeks heated. "Just a creative writing prompt, Mr. Peterson."

He furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head. "Let's get to the real work now, Mandy. I'm sure Mrs. Gentry isn't assigning you an animatronic bear essay."

More laughter erupted in the classroom.

"Right," Mandy murmured.

Mr. Peterson closed the notebook and slipped it back on her desk as he walked away.

"Fan fiction. So original, just like her pink hair. That must be why she thinks up such great stories," Melissa Chandler whispered a little too loudly from the desk behind Mandy.

Mandy gave a quiet sigh. Here we go again.

"It's like someone threw up diarrhea meds on her head," Lily Jansen giggled back. "Oh, wait, is that what happened to you, Mandy?"

Mandy looked down at her notebook, rubbing the tip of her eraser across the cover. "I dyed it because it works better with my complexion.

You should try it sometime."

"Right, like I need help with my complexion."

Melissa leaned toward Mandy's shoulder. "You're a real freak show.

You know that, Mace Head? A freak with different-colored eyes." The girls both laughed.

It was true. Mandy had been born with heterochromia, with one brown iris and one green iris. Having two different eye colors really hadn't been an issue with other kids as she grew up until she met Melissa. Then again, Melissa seemed to take issue with everything about Mandy.

Mandy shrugged, even though she felt tension grip her body inch by inch. By now, she was an ace at not showing her emotions. It had taken some time ... and more than a few hurtful comments, though. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"You would," Melissa said.

"Why are you such a freak?" Lily wanted to know.

Mandy forced a smile. "Lucky, I guess."