Part 7

Jezzie stood and watched everyone being forced to leave- some choosing to go with them line up to say their goodbyes. Lynx and Nicolas were really the only ones who had to go, but Jamai decided to go with Alistair didn't want to leave Lynx again, so he decided to leave as well. William left to prove his loyalty to Lynx as well. Toby was going too. But Jezzie wasn't quite sure of the reason behind that. Gobby was also forced to leave simply because Alex had caught her going through his things.

Lynx walked over to Jezzie, crown in hand, and handed it to her, "You'll need this."

Jezzie took it with reluctance. "I'll write," she said.

"Don't bother," said Lynx with a sad smile. "Job's hard. You won't remember."

Jezzie hugged her sister, dropping the crown on the floor. Lynx pat her back. "You'll do fine. Just don't go crazy, alright?"

Jezzie nodded, taking a step back. Marcus swooped down and picked up the crown for her, offering it to her. Jezzie took it.

Tommy hugged William and Toby again, for the fifth time. "I'll miss you guys. Don't be weird when I see you again!" They laughed at their friend's ridiculousness.

"Say your goodbyes yet?" Alex's voice rang through, bringing silence to the foyer.

"Yes," said Lynx. "We're leaving now."

Lynx looked over her friend's faces before turning and walking outside. Alistair held Jezzie's cheek in his palm before turning and following his sister. Soon enough, everyone had left. Jezzie suddenly felt very cold.

___

"So here is your new head of all military affairs," said Alex, motioning to a young man dressed in green. "His name is General Clay. He's incredibly experienced in many different weapons and can teach your guards new and more modern approaches to battle techniques."

"Whatever," Jezzie said, barely even looking at the men. She was sitting lazily in her throne, Lynx's crown in her lap. "Couldn't wait a day before you replaced my friend's positions?"

Alex curled his lip. "You need to have a head of the guards, your majesty."

Jezzie stood up. "Don't call me that."

"What should I call you then, hm?"

"Call me 'ma'am," she said as she left the room, the two men watching silently.

Jezzie walked out to the gardens and sat on a bench underneath the largest spruce tree. The one that she and Lynx would play on as children. Jezzie ran her fingers over where she, Lynx, and Alistair carved their names into the tree.

For a while, Jezzie merely sat there and stared at her feet until she felt someone sit beside her. It was David. They hadn't seen each other since Jezzie had left with Alex, and that was hours ago.

"Whatcha got there?" He softly asked.

Jezzie lifted Lynx's crown towards him. "Crown."

"So I'm guessing that piece of paper was authentic?"

Jezzie nodded, unable to bring herself to look at another person at the moment. She felt him gently take the crown from her hands.

David hummed quietly. "Doesn't suit you," he said.

Jezzie tore her eyes off the ground and looked at him. He was holding the crown above her head, but that wasn't what caught her attention. Her face broke into a grin. His hair was pulled back in a high ponytail with a dozen tiny braids riddled throughout it, dark strands still hung down to frame his face. At first, he looked at her with a confused expression.