The City

Hello, again! This is the third short story I'm publishing on Wattpad. If you haven't looked at my previous works, feel free to do so! I hope you've enjoyed them so far. :)

The bustling cars fled past me as I walked along the side of the huge road. Tall grey buildings towered over me, casting dark shadows, their tinted glass windows blinding in the waning orange sunlight. I walked aimlessly around in the busy streets filled with people who were submerged into the events of their own lives - a conversation on their phone or with another person - and I, a passer-by, getting to witness part of it. After a few minutes I spotted a good space for shelter underneath a bridge and set down what small possessions I had.

The river made soft swooshing and sploshing sounds. It was a nice shade of deep navy blue, glistening softly orange from the last rays of the sun. I took out the half-eaten sandwich I bought this morning and started chewing on it. As the night carried on, I heard splashing noises down the river, making me look over. It was dark now, and I could only see two small silhouetted figures down the stream, their laughter carrying down to my ears.

The volume of their voices was increasing now as they strolled along the midnight river toward my direction. They were close enough to see now; it was a young man and woman. By the way she clung to him, I guessed that they were in the earlier stages of their relationship. The joys of young love! I remember when I experienced that stage; it didn't end well as I lost my job but the memories were good while they lasted.

As they drew closer, I pressed myself deeper into the shadows of the bridge, not wanting to disturb the couple's romantic moment. The young couple came to a sudden halt and the man stood in front of the woman. He whispered something to her then bent down to rest on one knee. The woman let out a dramatic gasp as he reached into the recesses of his pockets. He pulled out something small that reflected the distant lights of the street lamps. As the woman laid her eyes on the small but expensive prize, she let out a second gasp. Only this time, something was different about it. She sounded...panicked.

In a sudden quick motion, he had her by the throat. The young woman's screams were cut short. The unexpected move had left me frozen in the shadows. For a few moments, I didn't moved an inch or even let out a breath in my state of shock. I was forced to watch in horror as the young woman grew limp, slumped against the man, and slid into the river.

The sudden release from my paralysis's grip made me take a step back. Crunch. I forgot I had my plastic bags behind me. Slowly, the young man's gaze turned in my direction, his eyes steadily fixed on mine. I did the only thing I could in a situation like this.

I ran.

I felt my heartbeat beating a thousand beats per minute against my whole body. My footsteps thudded rhythmically against the concrete footpath. Somewhere between the sounds of my own steps, there was a second pair pounding. I tried to keep my pace but spending the last few years strolling around busy grey buildings or quiet roads did not prepare me for this. He was gaining on me, but I would always make a sharp turn to put just a little more distance between us, to give myself just a little bit more time. He never got within five meters of me.

My surroundings started to grow unfamiliar. It took me a moment to realise where I was. This was the area where you went to either become part of some underground scheme, or to find someone who was. Ahead, I saw two men in blue uniform softly illuminated by a dull street lamp, their badges just a pinprick of black on their shoulders and their car barely visible from my vantage point. I couldn't believe my luck! It must've been the greatest coincidence for them to be here at this time. A flood of relief flushed through my entire body as I called for their attention. My pace quickened and I reached them before my pursuer had a chance to get me. I was panting and out of breath. Both of them were big, buff men who looked like they could easily snap a log into two. One had a light scar running down the left side of his jaw and the other had piercing grey eyes. Ha! That'll scare him off.

But as I turned to look back, the streets behind me were not empty. The young man was still there, standing half illuminated by the street light, the darkness surrounding him like a soft blanket. A small, soft smirk played on his lips, giving him a dangerous look.

"Do you have a light?" a rough voice casually said from behind me. My young pursuer flicked his wrist and Scar Face caught the lighter, lighting his cigarette. What was going on?

I cleared my throat. "Excuse me officer. I want to report this young man-"

"Let's not bother him in his business," Grey Eyes said to Scar Face. I stopped talking, unsure if he was talking about me or my pursuer. Either way, this shouldn't be happening. This shouldn't be what they were doing. Scar Face and Grey Eyes gave my pursuer a curt nod and started to get into their car.

I grabbed the edge of the driver's door. "Wait, what are you doing? You should be helping me. Shouldn't you be- please, help me!" I said, my voice rising. Grey Eyes didn't say anything, didn't even look at me. The blue and white car drove swiftly away, leaving me alone with my pursuer and Scar Face's cigarette ash dancing slowly toward the charcoal tar road.

I felt smaller, more lost than I ever had.

What had just happened?

My young pursuer looked just as he did before - half hidden from me and smirking. That smirk, so chilling and unsettling. My heart felt frozen under his one-eyed stare.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't see anything at the river. I didn't mean to try and t-te-t-"

"No, it's quite alright. You were meant to see that by the river," the young man answered, his voice deeper than I expected. "It's beautiful, don't you think? That river, I mean."

I stared unbelievingly at him. "You mean you didn't really do that to that woman? It was all fake?"

His smirk widened and he lifted one shoulder briefly. "I didn't say that," he said.

"Why didn't those officers do anything?" I asked.

"Well, this is my territory and if they want something from here they have to give something in return. Simple."

"What do you want from me? I have nothing to give to you," I said.

"Ah," he began, lifting one finger. He took one small step forward, revealing more of himself to me but still remained partly covered. "But I have something to give to you." His smirk turned into a full smile as he said this. Goosebumps raised on my flesh. "I want to give you a home. Somewhere you can belong. I don't think eating one sandwich a day or sleeping under a bridge would be anyone's first choice. It most certainly wouldn't be mine."

I thought about what he was really offering me, what the real question was. "And what would I have to give you for this? It's simple, right? If I want something from you I have to give something in return."

"You catch on quite fast. Very valuable here. Slow learners don't earn a place with me." He kept on smiling. "I'm not asking much for my fine accommodation, but I heard that your ex-wife has been quite a respected and highly looked upon judge for the last six years, am I correct? I have a mate who "accidentally" did something last year," he said, moving his index and middle fingers up and down when he said the word 'accidentally'.

I didn't bother asking how he knew all of this information. I thought about how accepting this would affect me. I don't really have anyone close to me anymore so that wouldn't be a problem. Besides, that woman owes me after divorcing me when I lost my job and "made her look bad", then taking all of my money.

I looked at the young man and held out my hand. "Deal"