[ 1 - " Great Start, Tommy. " ]

< “ When I was a child, I didn't hear a single word you said

The things I was afraid of, they were all confined beneath my bed ” >

Bleary blue eyes blinked open, a few sunrays filtering through the gray clouds and the window onto the boy's face. Giving a light groan, the blonde pushed himself up with sore limbs. The feeling of exhaustion weighed down on his shoulders as he slid out of bed, making a minimal amount of noise as he stood and stretched.

White and dark gray feathered wings - close in appearance to a snowy owl's - stretched with him before folding comfortably on Tommy's back. Running a hand through his hair, the teen sauntered over to his wardrobe and opened it to pick out his outfit for the day. He got ready, heading out of his room after grabbing his phone from the charger and off the bedside table.

It was weird, in some stupid way. He was usually quite the morning person as long as he was up just before the sun rose, but he hated getting up and being productive once the sun was actually up. A lot of times it felt like his wings weighed more and his movements were sluggish. When he woke up before the sun rose, though, he felt like he had plenty of energy; Like he could fly for hours without a break.

It's probably just the bird brain talking. At least, that's what he always chalked it up to when he thought about it.

He descended down the stairs, footsteps quiet. The old wood creaked under his feet, the noise blaring in his ears despite being quiet in reality. The teen made it into the living room, looking around the dimly lit space.

The lights were off, stray sunrays seeping through closed curtains being the only source of light. A large gray couch rested in front of a TV — the device long turned off from not being in use for at least a few hours — with a coffee table sat in between.

The pale light blue walls were decorated with pictures, each frame hung up or on a shelf on either side of the tv. There were mostly family photos with a couple of Tommy's father and his friends, or aunts and uncles as Tommy referred to them. There were plenty of him and his sibling, too, ranging from birthdays to when the boys had been learning archery for the first time.

Tommy's brother had picked it up much quicker than the blonde, but was just as thrilled as - if not more than - the older had been when he first hit a bullseye. He remembers staying up late into the night watching movies like Brave and The Hunger Games as some sort of celebration.

He was a weird kid, man.

Speaking of his sibling- there they laid, sprawled out on the couch, one leg thrown over the ledge and an arm tossed over the back. Their other arm was folded close to their head, the other leg tucked under the first. A blanket was loosely tossed on top of him to make sure they didn't get cold. Red lines ran up their dark skin on the right side of his face and down his neck, disappearing underneath the collar of his shirt only to come back out on their right arm, running all the way down to their fingertips in a way that often reminded Tommy of stray vines. Blue horns poked up out of scruffy dark brown, almost black, hair.

How they were comfortable like that is beyond him.

The blonde sighed, leaning against the arm of the couch and reaching over to gently run his fingers through the other’s dark hair.

"Erynn,," Tommy drawled, watching the other stir a bit. Their face scrunched up in annoyance as he tried half-heartedly to swat away the hand. It didn't work.

"If you don't get up in the next five seconds, I'm going to pour ice water on you."

The younger shot up, making a noise which Tommy could only describe as either a panicked rat or a cat avoiding water, rapidly blinking away the sleep from their eyes. There was silence as Tommy brought his hand back, away from Eryn.