Chapter 1

It had been about midnight when the screaming began. Artemisia was laying on the roof, a soft breeze caressing her face. She gazed at the royal capitol of Paradis sprawling beyond the castle grounds, glowing softly with lanterns strung over cobblestone roads. Hanging her head back, she tried to remember the last time she had seen the stars. Until tonight, rainy skies had enveloped the kingdom in mist and fog. She searched the black of the night for her favorite constellations, recalling the stories that her mother had once lovingly sang in their kitchen. She counted the three stars that, strung together, formed the belt of pearls of Al-Jawza. Artemisia racked her brain trying to remember the legend, cursing herself for so easily forgetting how her mother had once rocked her to sleep with it. Sitting up slightly, she peered around for any sign of eavesdroppers, her new armor glinting in the moonlight. Clearing her throat and stifling her embarrassment, she sang softly, stumbling through the ancient words. Closing her eyes, she could distantly smell the loaves of bread her father baked with careful, calloused hands. She could almost envision the soft glow of her mother's smile.

     "Aren't you supposed to be on night watch tonight?" A cold, gruff voice interrupted her singing. She winced- no matter how many years she had known him, his gait was that of a black cat- only found when he chose to be.

     "Actually, I have a better vantage point on the roof," Artemisia retorted, twisting her torso to face him. The Grand Commander Levi Ackerman of the Holy Knights stepped slowly down the roof towards her, the twinkle in his dark eyes the only sign of his amusement. "And it's not like Jean is doing anything useful either!" She added in defense. He pursed his lips, his velvet green cape catching the wind slightly. His hair was always the same, a clean undercut with long strands of his black hair hanging over the sides.

     "You speak of your Captain too casually, Artemisia," Levi grumbled, bits of gravel tumbling down the shingles as he lowered himself to sit next to her, careful not to spill his hot cup of tea in hand. He wore standard military dress, no armor, his white shirt unbuttoned at the top. The night was quiet, the royal capitol stretching before them, glinting with lanterns and twisting cobblestone roads.

     "He's not even technically my captain yet, I'm just an apprentice, remember?" Artemisia grumbled. He said nothing, his eyebrows knit in thought. "Jasmine?" She nodded towards his tea cup. Levi grunted, holding it precariously by the rim, swirling it slightly.

     "Do you want to talk about it?" Levi asked, peering into the realm before them. They were perched on one of the many castle towers, the stained glass window behind them left slightly ajar. Artemisia groaned, lying back down, the shingles crunching under her armor.

     "It was nice and quiet before you came out here," She teased. Levi raised his eyebrows at her in response. He was 10 years her senior, and second in command to the Grand Master of the Holy Knights, Erwin Smith. Their familial bond allowed her to push the boundaries of the hierarchy.

     "Didn't sound that quiet, I stopped because I thought I heard an owl screeching, like it was being strangled to death or something," He snorted back, the corners of his mouth slightly turned upwards.

     "Don't make me spill your precious tea," Artemisia bit back, rolling her eyes in jest. They fell into a familiar comfortable silence. She reached out, tracing the constellations with her finger, remembering how dark the sky had been the day Levi had found her.

     She ran a thumb over the fresh callouses on her hand. Though his training with her was brutal, it was coveted amongst her peers. He was their strongest knight, a deadly weapon of the Crown, and feared most amongst their enemies. While Levi had supplied her with the physical training she needed, his partner and Grand Master of the Holy Knights, Erwin Smith. ensured that she received the highest level of education. Without them, she would still be weak and illiterate. Their bond was the closest thing to a family she had since all those years ago when everything went to hell.